L-3 Communications

www.l-3com.com
  www.l-3com.com
There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

A good place to work; conservative but i work with good, dedicated people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

L-3 is stable, offers reasonable benefits, and the costs of those benefits is reasonable. Good facilities, though a traditional layout of offices and cubicles. Good people to work with and for and expectations are clearly defined as to what you need to do. Salaries are competitive. Advancement opportunities depend upon the area you work in but seem to be reasonable. Note that I work in an IT/cyber division named STRATIS based out of Reston, VA. As with most places, it's the people you work with and for that makes the difference. Although advancement is sporadic (see comment in cons), people are not clawing over you to get ahead or tossing you under the bus. There is competition but it mostly stays friendly, mostly.

Cons

On the money side: salaries were frozen this past year to be in line with the government's freeze on its own wages. I work in an area in which one can earn bonuses but their paying of them is arbitrary and almost always very delayed, like a year or more. You shouldn't need to be prodding the system to keep the ball rolling on them. As with many companies, STRATIS has had layoffs but mgmt has worked hard to keep them to a minimum by finding savings in other areas. Not a con or a pro exactly but advancement does not come with longevity or even sometimes competence in your job. More often it is about ambition, who you're friends with, and how well you deal with people. Not all internal positions are advertised well so it's often up to the individual to find out what's available or being created. It shouldn't always be about what conversations you've been party to or who you know.

Advertise internal positions better to be fair to all interested employees. Also, if you're going to have a bonus system, have one that works. Set up time tables for when they will be distributed and make it known what the expectations are for when and what the factors used in calculating them. Keeping it all arbitrary and making people wait for unknown and unreasonably long periods is worse than not having such a program at all.

727 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications (View Most Recent)

Very Good

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and good culture of people.

Cons

Lacking in management and good communication in the office.

Treated Fairly

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

L-3 has much more of a commitment to integrity and honesty than most of the other companies I've worked for before.

Cons

L-3 started losing contracts while I was there and laying people off. Also when I left L-3 I discovered that I was underpaid quite a bit.

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications