L-3 Communications
www.l-3com.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

A good place to work; conservative but i work with good, dedicated people.

Reston, VA

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsL-3 is stable, offers reasonable benefits, and the costs of those benefits is reasonable. Good facilities, though a traditional layout of offices and cubicles. Good people to work with and for and expectations are clearly defined as to what you need to do. Salaries are competitive. Advancement opportunities depend upon the area you work in but seem to be reasonable. Note that I work in an IT/cyber division named STRATIS based out of Reston, VA. As with most places, it's the people you work with and for that makes the difference. Although advancement is sporadic (see comment in cons), people are not clawing over you to get ahead or tossing you under the bus. There is competition but it mostly stays friendly, mostly.

ConsOn the money side: salaries were frozen this past year to be in line with the government's freeze on its own wages. I work in an area in which one can earn bonuses but their paying of them is arbitrary and almost always very delayed, like a year or more. You shouldn't need to be prodding the system to keep the ball rolling on them. As with many companies, STRATIS has had layoffs but mgmt has worked hard to keep them to a minimum by finding savings in other areas. Not a con or a pro exactly but advancement does not come with longevity or even sometimes competence in your job. More often it is about ambition, who you're friends with, and how well you deal with people. Not all internal positions are advertised well so it's often up to the individual to find out what's available or being created. It shouldn't always be about what conversations you've been party to or who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvertise internal positions better to be fair to all interested employees. Also, if you're going to have a bonus system, have one that works. Set up time tables for when they will be distributed and make it known what the expectations are for when and what the factors used in calculating them. Keeping it all arbitrary and making people wait for unknown and unreasonably long periods is worse than not having such a program at all.

Very Good

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros: Good benefits and good culture of people. Cons: Lacking in management and good communication in the office. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Treated Fairly

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: L-3 has much more of a commitment to integrity and… Cons: L-3 started losing contracts while I was there and laying people off. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on L-3 Communications.

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L-3 Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L-3 Communications CEO Michael T. Strianese. All reviews posted anonymously by L-3 Communications employees.