There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

My experience was very positive, my supervisor was excellent, pay was excellent.

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA
Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Until 2011 business turned (Lost big Federal contracts, proposal writing workload was impacted) this was one of the best large corporations I had worked for.
Employees were rewarded for hard work, L-3 promoted a work-life balance philosophy which was demonstrated for those with family needs. We received some comp time and bonuses for demanding workload and efforts when preparing to submit a proposal. Team effort was the name of the game and everyone pitched in to help when deadlines approached.
Good health benefits.

Cons

In 2010, corporate (in New York) decided to pursue more bids for Federal contracts. This workload stretched us and most writers and managers worked an average of 60 hours a week. We lost many longstanding, large contracts because our focus was on new business and the quality of our work suffered. We did not win many recompetes. We did not win new business, Lay offs began as there was at approximately half the work required compared to previous years. Morale suffered and there were obviously no bonuses even though we were working harder and longer hours.

Advice to Management

For Corporate: Becoming over ambitious is a great risk and you loose dedicated professionals as a result.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. CSW leadership was generally pretty competent with the exception of the HR leadership.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent technical talent and very good products. The employee workforce was very skilled and dedicated.

Cons

Some of the senior leadership became complacent and many of the most recent business decisions resulted in dramatic overspending on some projects. Seems to be too much infighting among senior managers and mid-level managers. There areh't enough checks and balances to keep incompetent management from making poor business decisions.

Advice to Management

The org needs to be flattened (too many directors and managers). More decision-making needs to be delegated to subordinate employees. Need to reduce favoritism that runs rampant throughtout the org.

2. Okay

Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contract Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, decent salary, it could be better but also could be much worst

Cons

The hierarchy is a bit convoluted, a large company with a large company feel, no sense of community