There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Good place to work, despite some shortcomings.

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Shrewsbury, NJ
Former Employee - Network Engineer in Shrewsbury, NJ

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Better than average salaries, good benefits, good work environment. There are good career advancement opportunities depending on a project. Well structured work environment with a focus on the process and accountability. Big on CMMI.

Cons

A a government contractor, company is somewhat stingy in spending their own money for the comfort of the employees. There is always a chance of layoffs if the company loses a contract. However the company will usually try to shift employees to a different project if that case.

Better communication with employees and transparency about the future plans and prospects.

668 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications (View Most Recent)

My experience was very positive, my supervisor was excellent, pay was excellent.

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Until 2011 business turned (Lost big Federal contracts, proposal writing workload was impacted) this was one of the best large corporations I had worked for.
    Employees were rewarded for hard work, L-3 promoted a work-life balance philosophy which was demonstrated for those with family needs. We received some comp time and bonuses for demanding workload and efforts when preparing to submit a proposal. Team effort was the name of the game and everyone pitched in to help when deadlines approached.
    Good health benefits.

Cons

In 2010, corporate (in New York) decided to pursue more bids for Federal contracts. This workload stretched us and most writers and managers worked an average of 60 hours a week. We lost many longstanding, large contracts because our focus was on new business and the quality of our work suffered. We did not win many recompetes. We did not win new business, Lay offs began as there was at approximately half the work required compared to previous years. Morale suffered and there were obviously no bonuses even though we were working harder and longer hours.

For Corporate: Becoming over ambitious is a great risk and you loose dedicated professionals as a result.

Access to Interesting Work

Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working as a contractor at NASA is a really wonderful opportunity. The work is interesting and they hire some truly excellent engineers.

Cons

L-3 managers tend to be engineers without the best people skills. There is a somewhat obsessive focus on hitting budget targets, regardless of what makes sense for the work at hand.

Try to get some more people-oriented folks in first-line management.

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Worked for L-3 Communications? Contribute to the Community!