There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Good place to work, despite some shortcomings.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Shrewsbury, NJ
Former Employee - Network Engineer in Shrewsbury, NJ

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average salaries, good benefits, good work environment. There are good career advancement opportunities depending on a project. Well structured work environment with a focus on the process and accountability. Big on CMMI.

Cons

A a government contractor, company is somewhat stingy in spending their own money for the comfort of the employees. There is always a chance of layoffs if the company loses a contract. However the company will usually try to shift employees to a different project if that case.

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees and transparency about the future plans and prospects.

reviews filtered by
  1. My experience was very positive, my supervisor was excellent, pay was excellent.

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Reston, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Until 2011 business turned (Lost big Federal contracts, proposal writing workload was impacted) this was one of the best large corporations I had worked for.
    Employees were rewarded for hard work, L-3 promoted a work-life balance philosophy which was demonstrated for those with family needs. We received some comp time and bonuses for demanding workload and efforts when preparing to submit a proposal. Team effort was the name of the game and everyone pitched in to help when deadlines approached.
    Good health benefits.

Cons

In 2010, corporate (in New York) decided to pursue more bids for Federal contracts. This workload stretched us and most writers and managers worked an average of 60 hours a week. We lost many longstanding, large contracts because our focus was on new business and the quality of our work suffered. We did not win many recompetes. We did not win new business, Lay offs began as there was at approximately half the work required compared to previous years. Morale suffered and there were obviously no bonuses even though we were working harder and longer hours.

Advice to Management

For Corporate: Becoming over ambitious is a great risk and you loose dedicated professionals as a result.

2. No consideration for the employees

Former Employee - Sales Director
    Former Employee - Sales Director

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity in their capabilities through acquisition

Cons

Created my position then eliminated it within two years, and only provided two years severance. No accountability. No interest in the individual.

Advice to Management

Increase emphasis upon mentoring and accountability. Live up to the Company's written values.