LOOK FOR OTHER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES

Former Employee - Engineer
Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Descent benefits and great area to live

Cons

the complete management core is very old school. Make up opportunities for those is the social network that do not command the right experience and knowledge of the job they have assumed. Management does not like creative and innovative people because that posses an issue with their own job security. Quality Director has no leadership abilities and sets a very poor example for the company as do most of the managers. Very demeaning atmosphere that lends itself to meetings that become out-of-control with behavioral issues and very foul language used to degrade you in front of others. Protection of their status is their number one priority at any and all cost. I can not believe the company is still in business. Maintain 2 RiFFs each year because of the management style they have been allowed to operate under.

Advice to Management

Where do I even start. The whole management core needs to be replaced do to the behavior they have allowed for so many years. I can't believe the Defense primes still are allowing this type behavior especially when the products they produce are sub standard compared to industry standards. The company needs a complete overhaul of its management staff.

Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications

1. L-3 ETI not a positive work place

Former Employee - Property Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Property Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were to industry standards,

Cons

Directionless Management, a very stressful work environment.

2. Electrical test engineer working with RF, analog, digital and automation.

Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Electronics Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with stability. Politically correct. Lots of opportunities for growth. I have enjoyed working with almost everyone there. They have always tried to treat me fairly.

Cons

They eliminated their pension plan for new hires and replaced it with 401K participation. The last couple of years, they have hired a lot of people in anticipation of contracts. They lost several key contracts and had a 5% reduction of force. I was laid off just short of retirement.

Advice to Management

Lay off those who fail to contribute before you lay off contributing members. You have a lot of solid performers who are really nervous.