Good pay but not steady

Current Contractor - Consultant in Fayetteville, NC
Current Contractor - Consultant in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at L-3 Communications as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good $100/hour. Hiring was through the company's own website posted short term requirements (this was the MPRI division) and quickly set up a call back from the project manager putting the team together.

Cons

You are technically an independent contractor, billing hours through the company. There was more supervisory oversight than "independence". Lots of contracts to sign and fax/email to the HR office in Virginia (sixty plus pages).

Lots of the jobs require a security clearance and sometimes the language wasn't clear (ie. "cleared for NATO Secret" just meant you had an active US Secret clearance.

Filing travel expense voucher was a hassle and you needed to pay for weeks of hotel bills before the voucher was paid.

Vast majority of employees and all of the supervisors were former military, so you need to adapt to that culture. Good fit with the clients though.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good company to work for if you a non minority,,,just so so if you are a minority

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strongly supports education and training. During my time there I was able to complete a Bachlors and (2) Master degrees paid for mostly by the company.

Cons

Lack of diversity in management and leadership roles. During my 10 years there I've only seen (2) manager at the Program Manager level and up who were minorities out of hundreds of employees. The goog old boys network is alive and we'll at this company, especially in the Chantilly, VA office.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should practice what they preach and offer more opportunities for everyone not just the good old boys. There are some outstanding well educated minorities in the company who could just a good a job than the non minorities who often time are promoted through the ranks in no time at all

2. L-3 Communications is one of the best national defense companies.

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

L-3 Communications has many employees that are very friendly and willing to assist when needed.

Cons

With the many people employed at L-3 Communications there tends to be a lot more politics.