L-3 Communications

www.l-3com.com
There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications

Good experience

I have been working at L-3 Communications

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

DoD is an unpredicatable industry

744 Other Employee Reviews for L-3 Communications (View Most Recent)

L-3 take a good look at the offered salary before you work here because there is alot to deal with

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was above average for the area. The vacation policy was nice 3 weeks per year. The personal/sick leave was 2 weeks per year.

Cons

Where do I start. L-3 was a sink or swim environment and first job out of college. My first project all they told me id be working on X project. I wasn't told who else i was working with, where any files for the project was were stored, given a budget, given a time line, any guidelines,best L-3 standards or L-3 practices. I didn't even have the software to start. My manager acted like he was bothered when i mentioned this and it took IT two weeks just to install cadence. I wasn't told what other engineers had any experience in my project so i had no idea who to ask for help. It was also difficult because i had no idea what the engineers did. There was no hierchy chart.

There is no real collaborative effort among engineers and periodic layoffs. Senior engineers dont want to interact or help younger engineers because if a younger engineer can do it cheaper, the senior engineer will get laid off next go round. You'd walk down the hallway and smile and say good morning to other engineers and most would just ignore you.

Equipment was antiquated. We were a video display company but didn't have the money to buy video bus analyzers.

The work environment was such that everyone was constantly putting out fires, working behind the eightball and never enough support from engineering program managers. The EPMs didnt really care about your issues until a deadline was near and it effected there bonuses. At that point it meant you working overtime and weekends. There was also a culture of blame and pointing fingers instead of collaboration and support.

I also had to constantly ask for work from my manager. When he didn't have any id go to EPMs looking for work.

The Joint Program Office was investing L-3 on why contract work wasnt getting done. This was in conjuction of larger investigation into the overbudget and delays JSF F-35 program in general.

Even daily business practices were antiquated. To get an engineering change notice you had to print out a piece of paper and walk it around to people on the program. Good luck finding out who that was and getting it done in a timely manner. Most people were reassigned at some point and didn't know what was going on and sighned anyway or other poeple would forget about it on there desk.

another con was constant reassignment of people on projects and layoffs and people quitting meant that there was no consistantcy on projects and people never knew what was going on.

At a small company not much room for career growth.

Management doesn't listen to advice. Deloitte consulting was hired to help make the company more efficient and general improvement of business practices. Management incorporated nothing.

Overall great company to work for

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay and the benefits were ok as well. Never tried to cheat the employee out of hours worked for overtime.

Cons

Slow response times from HR and upper level management

Take time to connect with the lower level employees

There are newer employer reviews for L-3 Communications