L-3/IS

www.l-3com.com
  www.l-3com.com
There are newer employer reviews for L-3/IS

Fast paced, political, but a decent work environment

I have been working at L-3/IS

Pros

The company culture seems fairly laid back, decent benefits package, routine raises and promotions, competitive amounts of time off relative to other companies.

Cons

The workplace is highly political, their benefits package continues to erode every single year, and upper management seems to be overly concerned with petty aspects.

Worry less about tracking irrelevant statistics and more about the overall big picture. Sometimes management can't see the forest from the trees, and this makes the work environment sometimes overly hostile.

32 Other Employee Reviews for L-3/IS (View Most Recent)

Challenge, rewarding and frustrating

Current Employee - Engineering in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Waco, TX

I have been working at L-3/IS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

L3 PID Waco, Tx has opportunity for advancement, family oriented, concerned with balance of work and family

Cons

Challenges as any company grows people resist change when they see it as a threat to their established and familiar life at work. They are used to their routines and patterns of behavior and may be concerned about their ability to cope with new demands. Everything flows and nothing abides; everything gives way and nothing is fixed. See change as an opportunity. Remember that change is a necessary thread in the fabric of life.

The primary function of management in profit-making firms is to satisfy a range of stakeholders.
    This means making a profit and creating value for shareholders, producing and delivering valued products and services at a reasonable cost for customers, and providing rewarding employment and development opportunities for employees.
    The resources – people, are not always given the opportunities to achieve advancement, due to favoritisms (connected). Thus, managers miss opportunities to accomplish effective use of resources, and delivering value to the company and customers.

Enjoyed my job, but not the location

Former Employee - Software Engineering Coop in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Coop in Greenville, TX

I worked at L-3/IS as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the job. My manager was very nice and did his best to shield his employees from upper management's crap. I enjoyed the work I did, and as a Co-Op, it was nice to know that I was trusted with important projects. I learned a ton, and the people I worked with were super helpful. The majority of the people in my group had worked there for 10+ years, so I guess they like the job.

Cons

The security clearance is a huge pain in the butt. It was cool at first - but the novelty wore off after a few weeks. Working in a closed area really sucks, because of all the things you can't do (like use the internet on your development machine, or bring your iPod to work). All the security rules tended to get in the way of productivity.
    I also hated the location. I found it very hard to find people my own age in Greenville, and there is pretty much nothing to do in that town. The nearest liquor store is literally 30 miles away.

There are newer employer reviews for L-3/IS