There are newer employer reviews for L. A. Care Health Plan

Working at LA Care in General

Current Employee - Director/In Operations  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Director/In Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The mission, vision and values I believe in. We serve underserved and vulnerable populations in a managed care business model. We are now serving Medi-Medi members and disabled members and with the passing of the Affordable Care Act we will serve lots more members in the coming years.

Cons

-There is very little room for career growth in most departments
-The management team is stifled by the executive team in general, communication between the two sets is poor
-Fiefdom hood is the way the organization is run
-We say we are ethical, and we are trained every year on ethics and doing the right thing, but upper management rarely does what they say management and employees should do
-You really aren't allowed to express new and creative and smart ways of doing things and accomplishing one's goals or department objectives, it's a dictatorship mentality, so as long as one understands that, they can be happy under those rules. You are taught to have employees fear you.
-The pay and benefits are low compared to our competitors. Executives make a lot but not management or employees, yet it's all public dollars.

The executives need to look at the management and employee base of the organization and make real changes, otherwise people will continue to be unhappy, continue to leave, or remain and be unhappy and underappreciated.

17 Other Employee Reviews for L. A. Care Health Plan (View Most Recent)

They offer you benefits but in reality it's just to hook you to say "yes".

Former Employee - Member Services Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L. A. Care Health Plan

Pros

Stable work if you do not have many errors or discrepancies on your calls. Located in Downtown L.A., accessible to major freeways. You are typically off Saturday's and Sunday's. Occasionally you will work on Saturdays.

Cons

A lot of micro-managing. Health benefits are just a promise to Member Services Reps. They will not give you benefits unless you have a clean attendance record, and move to Member Services Rep. 1 status. They never tell you this during the hiring process. There are many employees that have been there a year and still do not get health benefits and they are full-time. The only employees that get health benefits are the upper management staff. It is unfair and ironic for a 'health care" company NOT to provide that to all employees.

Training is horrible! The Trainers confuse you and are not prepared nor have an agenda of what they need to teach you. A lot of "lecturing" involved from one Trainer in particular. It seems that she's been there too long and is there to just collect a paycheck.

Be truthful and honest during the hiring / interview process. Do not deceive employees by telling them they give get benefits.

Not bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L. A. Care Health Plan

Pros

Leisure, Stable. Good business and a bright future.

Cons

King of boring, long commuting

More sensitive to promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for L. A. Care Health Plan

Worked for L. A. Care Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!