Unprofessional and Unpleasant

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was decent.

Cons

This company is incredibly unprofessional when it comes to the workplace. I worked in a small boutique and I would have to open/close by myself. There were days where I was alone for hours. I felt unsafe because we only had fake cameras and no security. There is also unfair responsibility for employees depending on which store they work in. For example, at the small boutique where I was located as a part-time employee I was expected to open/close, clean, change windows, shipment, operational, and then sell. In a large or flagship store, a part-timer does not have all of those responsibilities. L'Occitane really needs to redesign how they organize their stores. The biggest disappointment was that after all I had given into the business as a part-timer in a small boutique, they decided to move me to a flagship store and cut my hours from 18-20 hours a week to 6 hours a week. I was incredibly upset because it was insulting and rude. Plus, no upper management even gave me a reason why they were moving me and cutting my hours. I also noticed that many other part timers were moved around and some got more hours then me. I found this to be extremely unfair treatment. Another problem with this company is that they do not educate their employees whatsoever on their rights. There are no safety, HR, or any sort of trainings except for product knowledge. They want their employees to feel powerless and instead play a political game to be kept on the DM's favorite list. Lastly, L'Occitane needs to learn that the people they hire is not be taken lightly. They hired people by posting an ad on craig's list for a job fair (you could only imagine the type of crowd that brought). I've worked with many unprofessional employees and under qualified managers. It's a shame because L'Occitane is now a place of gossip and cut throat competition between stores and it creates a horrible atmosphere and place to work.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire good people, keep them happy and retain them. Stop hiring incompetent managers.

Other Employee Reviews for L'Occitane

Great founder and products, horrible management

Pros

The salary, free products. Most of the staff is friendly and aim to please management. In lieu days for 6 day work weeks..

Cons

As a manager or associate you can be placed in any location with a days notice, you have no say. You will not get praise for doing a good job, only picked on for any faults. You cannot email upper management a question without getting a rude degrating response unless they don't respond at all, which often happens. All management know to ask one another and to never go to upper management unless you want to look like an idiot and be on the chopping block. The company doesn't have near enough employees so everyone is scrambling trying to borrow staff from one another's store. This makes employees confused and feel unappreciated. Communication in this company is a total mess. There are no conference calls and you get memos, emails, and other information coming at you in a thousand different ways. There are a hundred different codes and coupons and half the time the codes don't even work. There are also a ridiculous amount of focuses.. Things we are ment to track daily- sales, tickets, Atv, conversion, new clients, client sales, amount sold of campaign, amount sold of divine, skincare percentage, amount of rituals given, amount of a certain focus product sold, what samples we gave out, how a many ppl we have booked for a party, etc..

Advice to Management

When your staff feels like you are on their side and want them to succeed, they will work harder and be happier.

Never wanna leave yet always wanna quit

Pros

The product is amazing. It is easy to sell because it works. I've often enjoyed the personal relationships I've made with coworkers.

Cons

The bonus structure is not ideal for associates. Manager turnover is high. There is a lack of clear marketing and promotion direction all the time. There is no positive reinforcement or expression of appreciation for sales associates' work. The company does not advertise; they expect sales associates to bring the customers into the store, which is problematic in that sales associates are merely part-time workers who get the bare minimum $10 an hour.

Advice to Management

Be more positive and appreciate. Advertise; don't force this expectation on the sales associates.