There are newer employer reviews for L'Occitane

Unprofessional and Unpleasant

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly pay was decent.

Cons

This company is incredibly unprofessional when it comes to the workplace. I worked in a small boutique and I would have to open/close by myself. There were days where I was alone for hours. I felt unsafe because we only had fake cameras and no security.
There is also unfair responsibility for employees depending on which store they work in. For example, at the small boutique where I was located as a part-time employee I was expected to open/close, clean, change windows, shipment, operational, and then sell. In a large or flagship store, a part-timer does not have all of those responsibilities. L'Occitane really needs to redesign how they organize their stores.
The biggest disappointment was that after all I had given into the business as a part-timer in a small boutique, they decided to move me to a flagship store and cut my hours from 18-20 hours a week to 6 hours a week. I was incredibly upset because it was insulting and rude. Plus, no upper management even gave me a reason why they were moving me and cutting my hours. I also noticed that many other part timers were moved around and some got more hours then me. I found this to be extremely unfair treatment.
Another problem with this company is that they do not educate their employees whatsoever on their rights. There are no safety, HR, or any sort of trainings except for product knowledge. They want their employees to feel powerless and instead play a political game to be kept on the DM's favorite list.
Lastly, L'Occitane needs to learn that the people they hire is not be taken lightly. They hired people by posting an ad on craig's list for a job fair (you could only imagine the type of crowd that brought). I've worked with many unprofessional employees and under qualified managers. It's a shame because L'Occitane is now a place of gossip and cut throat competition between stores and it creates a horrible atmosphere and place to work.

Learn how to hire good people, keep them happy and retain them. Stop hiring incompetent managers.

144 Other Employee Reviews for L'Occitane (View Most Recent)

Lousy Morale, Taking Others for Granted

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Decent discount on decent products.

Cons

Read below from those who have submitted blunt, but eye-opening bad reviews, and must agree.

Everything that has been written by the previous "Thumbs Down" reviews have grains of truth scattered throughout. Lack of concern for safety, lack of appreciation for hard work and sacrifice for the sake of making sales goals, disrespect for need of personal time off, micromanagement and bullying are all painfully present for the store associates. 'Team Spirit/Prosperity' is preached enough - yet the very ones expecting this attitude, are the first to throw their own under the bus.

False promises, and flowery hyperbole are also other serious flaws, and the pay increases are horrid; witnesses have reported hours being tampered with, review scores altered to show under-performing scores for veteran employees who are experienced and have responsible reputations. Corporate is culprit where it comes to looking for every possible corner to cut in order to prevent proper pay raises from happening. 1% is about correct! HR and Payroll are notoriously unreachable.

If it weren't for the front lines CARING enough to keep business running at the stores, nobody in the corporate offices would have THEIR jobs! Switch places with the teams for even a few days just to see how harsh reality is served just to meet selfish demands.

And, the quality of some of the current new hires is low because the company pays a miser's wage. Seriously, they expect Wharton, Yale, Harvard and Stanford-type graduates to lead this company, yet brings in middle-school mentality to do so! It is no wonder morale continues to tank!

New graduates who are even considering applying - here's a strong piece of advice: do thorough research first. Otherwise, steer clear before you accept (if offered) only to re-think and regret 6 - 9 months down the line.

Never wanna leave yet always wanna quit

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The product is amazing. It is easy to sell because it works. I've often enjoyed the personal relationships I've made with coworkers.

Cons

The bonus structure is not ideal for associates. Manager turnover is high. There is a lack of clear marketing and promotion direction all the time. There is no positive reinforcement or expression of appreciation for sales associates' work. The company does not advertise; they expect sales associates to bring the customers into the store, which is problematic in that sales associates are merely part-time workers who get the bare minimum $10 an hour.

Be more positive and appreciate. Advertise; don't force this expectation on the sales associates.

There are newer employer reviews for L'Occitane