Corporate Business at it's worst

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Evanston, IL
Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Evanston, IL

I worked at LA Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to teach class however I wanted because no one ever came and watched my class to see if I was following the guidelines or any other similar class for that matter. Memebership is low priced.

Cons

I worked at two different locations.I was teacher. One of the locations actually did not supply me with a cd player for over a year, so no music for the class! The front desk staff was generally uninformed of whatever questions people seemed to have. One club was dirty and things like the towel wringer were broken without being fixed. The manager was repeatedly rude to the club members . The members always complained about poor service. The member and employee turnover was and I suspect still is due to the disatisfaction level.Basically, what I saw was the club is always trying to increase it's membership so the mamagers, employees were stressed at the numbers level they were expected to obtain.Also, the managers would drive insane distances( 1-1 1/2 hrs sometimes) to a club rather tahn being placed in thier local area or somewhat local area. Pay is exceptionally low.

Advice to Management

Treat your employess and members with the respect and consideration they deserve.

Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness

1. Horrible pay, Poor Management, Corrupt management

Former Contractor - Personal Trainer in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Personal Trainer in Plano, TX

I worked at LA Fitness as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, free membership for you and a family member.

Cons

Horrible pay, Poor Management, Corrupt management, client poaching is very common among workers, No benefits!! pay is $6 per session, each session is 30min, 2 session= 1 hour=$12 per hour minus taxes (pending on location) $6 per session. No career advancement. incontinency on clients. you can have a client at 11:00 and your next client may not be till 2:00. Poor communication and work ethics.

It all depends on who your GM is

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part good people, fun working enviornment, room to grow.

Cons

If you have a bad GM you will hate your job and as much as you're going to be there it's going to be your entire life. My first GM was awesome, had a passion for the job and wanted to see his people succeed. When he went to a new club the new GM came in and turned everything on its head. We had a sales counseler who'd been at the club for almost a year quit within a week because of how had the GM was. If you're going to be a fitness club GM you have to have some type of background in the fitness industry.

Advice to Management

Only hire managers with a fitness background.