There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

Good company to work for, promote within

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mount Laurel, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, benefit packages, great people, fun atmosphere, company promotes within

Cons

as with all sales jobs--your paycheck depends on how much time and effort you put in

Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness

1. Not the best work place to work at

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Cerritos, CA

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership while being employeed

Cons

management, pay structure (either hourly or commission, whichever is more)

Advice to Management

I worked there for 3 months. I went through their training but the pay was $8.00 an hour (40 hours a week) or my commissions, which ever was the higher amount. I was not making my commissions so at 3 months I choose to leave the company instead of getting fired. Have to make a certain amount of phone calls a day to prospect or current or past clients and your number increases the longer you are with the company. The pay never increases so no matter how hard you work, your pay never goes up. Their daily numbers in their goal are unattainable and hard to reach. Going out into the community to hand out 7 day free gym memberships was not that fun. I did not like that I had to get the prospect name (first and last) and phone number. I felt that was private information. A word of advice to LA Fitness is the pay structure needs to change if you want to keep your good employees around longer.

They don't offer 401k plan for their corporate employees at all

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate office in Irvine, CA has a good culture and the people are very friendly and you will learn a lot in the IT department. The IT department is a good fan of Microsoft products so you will have the opportunity to work on the latest Microsoft technology.

Cons

If you don't care about 401k, then work for LA Fitness. The company does not have 401K plan at all for their corporate employees and they have hard time attracting and retaining good employees because most candidates do care about 401k and they end up leaving the company. The company has high turnover due to lack of good benefits. All corporate employees are on hourly wages so they have to punch in / punch out. The company gives only 1 week vacation a year which is below the average in USA. The company gives only 6 paid holidays and those holidays are not paid if they fall on the weekend. The company does not give annual review. The company does not give annual pay raise at all so do not expect to get 2% pay raise. The hourly wage that you accept when they offer you the job will remain the same for years and most likely will not go up. Remember that you will be punching in / punching out because you will be on hourly wage not salary even if you are a professional working for corporate office

Advice to Management

Try to attract / retain the good employees by offering 401k plan for corporate employees. Retirement saving is very important these days and there is a reason why other good companies offer their employees good 401k plan. Spending money on 401k plan administration is not a waste of money. It actually saves you money in the long run because you will have a low turnover and good candidates will apply and accept your job offers.