There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

Growing company where you could grow

Pros

- Very clean, spaced out working environment - All the benefits that you want and need - Being a part of marketing and meeting many new people - Fun, outside of work activities

Cons

- There is no Graphic Design department, just one or two designers. That is a problem. - Lack of organization when it comes to priorities for the designers

Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness

1. Minimum Wage and fired out of the blue!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at LA Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours; worked with some great people.

Cons

The Personal Trainers get an astonishingly small amount of the "cut" that is charged to the client for personal training. Personal Trainers get paid a paltry $6.00 per 25 minute session. This is just barely minimum wage. Clients are charged from $35 to $50 per session! With no notice, 15 of our 20 personal trainers were fired last week because we were working part time. It is a really DUMB move by corporate management. We only get paid when we have a client so whats the money savings?? Also, many of the clients who were with those trainers who were fired are very upset. End result is that LAF will LOOSE business because of firing us. Also with only 5 full time trainers, they don't have enough hours in the day to train all of the people now who have paid for personal training.

Advice to Management

Some background on me - I'm not some 20 year old kid who doesn't know anything about how to run a business. I am a retired military officer and have 20 years experience in leadership, operations and efficiency. My advice to the management of LA Fitness would be that before you make rash decisions to fire everyone that works part time, a closer study of the ramifications should be conducted. As a result of your decision, you are loosing some excellent personal trainers. Not only that, two of the managers at our particular location have decided to leave and work at other gyms. I think that says a lot about how they feel about the management of this company.

2. Membership Sales Counselour

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can literally get paid for doing nothing. However, that pay will be minimum wage. Very easy to get hired. Satisfaction of the job will come with how fair your General Manager is.

Cons

VERY high turnover. Unrealistic expectations from management. You will be expected to do outreach on pretty much a daily basis to bring people into the gym. This can be better than sitting at a desk making calls all day, but whle you are doing this, your GM and assistant GM will be bringing in all of the hot web leads from the click of a mouse. It is a pretty unfair system and unless you have a lot of friends and family in the area who are interested in joining the gym, it will be very tough for you to make more than minimum wage for you first couple of months. You must develop your own leads and there are only so many people that you can just pluck off the streets and convince them to pay $100 or more up front to join a gym.

Advice to Management

Help your sales counselors out by providing them with a few web leads from the beginning. This can help them to get started up while also providing them with some VIP's to work with. Otherwise, the 90% turnover rate will continue. Stop worrying about reaching your bonuses for the half while other sales counselors are working very similar hours, doing very similar work, for minimum wage pay.