There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

Sick Culture Steals Your Soul

Current Employee - Sales Counselor  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

To learn the worst of the fitness business culture and old school sales management and know what to look for when you leave.

Cons

Club (sales) managers do not manage. Control is dictated from the district manager and Regional manager. Old school management of fear and intimidation. Always threatening to demote and fire - which they do every 2-weeks. Typical equity partner type business where people are expendable.

Understand you will implode at some point if you do not begin to understand your people are your greatest asset not an inconvenience in doing business. It appears the company is growing to be sold which explains the frenetic management style.

358 Other Employee Reviews for LA Fitness (View Most Recent)

Given a Management title, but no authority to make a decisions beneficial to club/members

Current Employee - Aerobics Coordinator/Instructor
    Current Employee - Aerobics Coordinator/Instructor

I have been working at LA Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice facility. Nice coworkers. Free membership to gym (which I have no time to use because I am always at work)

Cons

Inability to make any decisions for my clubs. Upper management doesn't respond to calls, emails or messages left. Things that I could take care of quickly take weeks because upper management has to have ultimate control.
    Crappy licensed music that we are required to use to teach classes. Music doesn't get frequently updated. When microphones or stereo systems are broken it takes weeks for them to get fixed, again because upper management does not respond in a timely manner.
    Upper management has "their way of doing things" that is rigid and ignores the needs of sites and ignores the requests of members.
    In the months that I have been here, they just keep adding the new clubs onto my responsibilities with no talk of a raise. Frequently I get frantic return phone calls during the last 5 minutes of my shift with demands to do things that keep me at work for an extra hour, with no compensation!!! They even rejected my request for reimbursement for mileage that I tracked going from club to club performing management duties.

Relinquish some control to the managers to do what is best for their site

Sales Counselor

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR  in  Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free gym membership and learn basic selling knowledge.

Cons

Very cut throat company. Hard to make into a career.

There are newer employer reviews for LA Fitness

Worked for LA Fitness? Contribute to the Community!