There are newer employer reviews for LA Quinta

Empowered and and allowed to take ownership

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Felt like it was my own property

Cons

Franchise operators are held to a different standard

Advice to Management

Develop a level of accountability

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Irving, TX

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee pods, company luncheons, stock options

Cons

Ridiculous doesn't even BEGIN to describe this work environment. For one, communication is a huge issue. Procedures are inconsistent or outdated, so whenever a property owner or GM complains, the finger-pointing begins. Management is abusive, exhibiting a reactive, everything's-on-fire mentality. And, BEWARE of the gossip clique, especially when it comes to admins and their VP's.

The thing that strikes me most about the political atmosphere is how much sway certain customer service folks and admins have over senior management. It doesn't matter how well you perform your job or how skilled you are; if one of these people doesn't like you, you will not advance in the company. PERIOD. They have the ear of the the VP, and will twist events around to serve their own agenda.

Another annoying thing about this place is that small portion of the Data Services team is silo-ed on the East Coast. That means critical information regarding franchised properties is relayed second-hand, and is not always accurate. Often times it takes days to get an answer, which is frustrating considering there are usually 24-hour turnaround times to get things resolved. Management will NOT invest in software that is commonly used for development projects. There are no in-house graphic artists or web developers, so these tasks are often left to management or unskilled customer service reps.

Worse, now that the company has attained IPO status, it's been rumored that staff cuts are looming. Which doesn't make sense, since La Quinta just opened 5 properties in Q1, and is actually expanding the corporate office. This maneuver is sure to make the organization even more top-heavy, while increasing workload for the underlings. Most positions stagnate after 2 years, and with all the back-biting, it's become an atmosphere of distrust. Steer clear of this snake pit.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stingy and actually invest in current technologies. Curb the politics--get rid of the dead wood and knock off the cronyism. COMMUNICATE!!!

Now I know what a slave feels like.

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Chicago, IL

I worked at LA Quinta part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Uniform
    Sorry I don't have 5 words for pros.

Cons

As a room attendant you are treated like you are nothing.
    You are expected to be a workhorse. They put unreasonable demands
    on you. The work isn't bad it's just you are supposed to do it a hundred miles
    an hour and if it isn't perfect well... Why the Hell not? i think they must be breaking
    labor laws with getting around giving any breaks. If you have pride in your job when
    you start they suck that right out of you. The room attendants I met are frazzled, and
    depressed as nothing is good enough so why bother? If you do need to speak privately
    with management they will not do it privately but in front of other employees. I have never
    experienced anything like it in any other job. Basically they don't give a damn about your
    feelings. I learned alot about lack of compassion in my short time at La Quinta.

Advice to Management

If you treat your employees like human beings maybe
    you wouldn't have such a turnover rate.