There are newer employer reviews for LAMPS PLUS

Reliable, secure job without many options to move up

Current Employee - Display Merchandiser
Current Employee - Display Merchandiser

I have been working at LAMPS PLUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I used to work at a large retailer with hundreds of employees, so working in a store with 2 people in management, 5 or 6 salespeople, 2 stock guys and another display merchandiser has been a welcome change. It feels more like a family working together and we have a good time. It's usually a relaxed atmosphere, where we can talk and joke while we work without worrying about a boss yelling at us to get back to work, yet there's always plenty to keep us busy.

I feel like I'm a valued and necessary part of the team, like if I suddenly disappeared they'd be frantically trying to replace me just to keep things running. It's a stable job, even if it is monotonous and unchanging. I don't have to worry about downsizing because they can't eliminate the position, they'd have to close the whole store.

It has been a comfortable, stable job for the past several years as my life has gone through some major transitions. The schedule has always been the same, which is also nice, Monday-Friday.

Cons

We all work as a team, helping each other out, which is good... but it too often turns into doing other people's jobs because they didn't schedule enough people that day and it's suddenly busy. I often have to drop what I'm doing to go answer the phone or carry something out to a car, even when I'm trying to catch up on my own work, just because there's no one else to do it. I want to help out, but I also have a lot of my own work that they want done asap, and I can't work over 40 hours. A lot of daily/weekly tasks are assigned by corporate office people who have no clue how much work there is to do in the store already.

The stock room is so small we can't keep enough product in stock and regularly have to sell the display models (many of them the only one in stock on purpose for lack of space), which we then have to put out again when restocked (then they often return it and we have two out of the box). I keep redoing the same exact work over and over. We also get a lot of "Internet returns" and don't have room for everything in the displays.

There were no raises for 3 years due to the "bad economy" and then when I got a raise it was 25 cents/hour. Minimum wage is catching up to my pay rate and the only way I can earn more is by moving to sales, which I'm not interested in. I have a lot of experience and responsibility now, but they pay me like a new hire. It's steady work that's going nowhere.

Try to remember how valuable all the store employees are, not just management and sales. Raises that don't even keep up with cost-of-living or inflation make it difficult to want to stay and we shouldn't have to change departments to earn more. After 6 years I don't even make $1/hour more than when I started.

19 Other Employee Reviews for LAMPS PLUS (View Most Recent)

Nice place to work.

I worked at LAMPS PLUS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned, place. They do a lot for their employees. Lots of fun and games to engage employees. Lots of locations but feels like a small company.

Cons

Infastructure needs updating, but they are working on it. Some of the locations need some facelifting, but they are working on that also.

Step up the infastructure improvements.

talented internet marketing team and comfortable working environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at LAMPS PLUS full-time

Pros

Everyone in the internet marketing is talented. We all get along and try to help out each other. We learn from our team members with a common goal of exceeding our sales goals with our marketing budget given. Very result driven. Willing to explore new ideas. Great place to learn.

Cons

Insurance co-pay could be better. Need more office space to accommodate the growth of the web business.

Insurance co-pay could be better.

There are newer employer reviews for LAMPS PLUS