LBB

There are newer employer reviews for LBB

Good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at LBB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Much nicer office building and more collegial atmosphere than most state government.

Cons

Women make less than men in the same positions.

4 Other Employee Reviews for LBB (View Most Recent)

There is definitely an in crowd, and if you're not in it, you're SOL.

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at LBB

Pros

You can take plenty of time off and come and go as you please as long as it's not during session.

Cons

Management promotes people that they like, not people that will make good managers.

Management should do more to foster their employees. The numbers are important, but if you're not good managers of people, employee dissent will cause an even larger problem.

Good people, location, benefits; very stressful at times, and nontechnical managers over techies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LBB

Pros

Management is very good with what they have control over. The location is great, and most employees (except IT) have private offices, many with views of the Capitol or of the UT tower. They have a wellness program, with an exercise room, yoga classes, and a massage therapist who comes in. Most of the employees are professionals who got advanced degrees to be able to make budget and policy recommendations to the legislature. The Capitol grounds is a beautiful park to walk in at lunch. Museums and restaurants in walking distance.

Cons

It is a very stressful place to work. If you're young and resilient, you can probably do it fine, but three 50+ people died in a two-year period. They may have died anyway, but work-related stress had a lot to do with it, in my opinion. Upper management is frankly out of touch with the rank-and-file. You can get a promotion by kissing up and not have the support of your peers who'll now be reporting to you. You also have nontechnical people managing technical people and making decisions that affect them without really understanding the consequences, not a good situation, in my opinion.

Bend over backwards to treat your good technical people well. They aren't there because they're policy or budget experts. The benefits and pension are attractive. They can easily leave and get jobs elsewhere. And if they do, it will simply take a long time to fill their shoes.

There are newer employer reviews for LBB