LEAP

www.leapforkids.org
There are newer employer reviews for LEAP

This is good for high school and college Students

Current Employee - Senior Counselor in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Senior Counselor in New Haven, CT

I have been working at LEAP

Pros

Offers part-time work during the school year and full-time of the summer.
Feels like a family because there is a lot of support from staff.
Helps grow management skills.
You get to work with underprivillaged youth and get to make a real difference in their lives.
Doesn't feel like work because you have so much fun with the kids.

Cons

Low pay for all positions

Should try to remove children from the program who do not listen to the counselors

4 Other Employee Reviews for LEAP (View Most Recent)

Community Based Assessment in Human Resources

Former Employee - Recruiter in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Cleveland, OH

I worked at LEAP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This position allowed me to brush up on skills that I had not used in a while. Such as creating a database for new applicants as well as tracking the employees compliance.

Cons

I enjoyed working for the program however it could have been more structured

I am very appreciative of the Community Based Assessment program however if I was in charge of it the program would be more structured.

Experienced Professional

I have been working at LEAP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is so far removed from practical decisions that sometimes it feels like your working for yourself.

Cons

Too many to mention fully. Owner is a doctor, not a businessman but sadly believes he is one. Pay is horrible, most employees in Washington DC are nothing more than paid interns, and yet hold positions of power. As a result, turnover is constant.

Employees held conflicting or bizarre titles, such as our Legal Counsel who was also head of HR (can you say conflict of interests) and our COO (a 22-year old History Major) who happened to turn the boss' head. MBA's and lawyers reported to the COO, so you can imagine the uniqueness of the situation.

Company was really just a shell for the owners personal ambitions with little thought to longevity or wellness of the employees. Business partners quit, executive assistants quit, and now they appear to be hiring for another legal counsel. It's quite likely he tried to do something ethical or told the owner "no".

As someone said, this is a great company for an intern, you'll have amazing responsibilities that no one as an intern should have thrust upon them. Then you can jump ship like everyone else.

Read some books on ethics and realize that owner of a company doesn't necessarily make you the center of the universe.

There are newer employer reviews for LEAP