LG Electronics

www.lg.com
  www.lg.com
There are newer employer reviews for LG Electronics

Chief research engineer in LG Electronics / UX designer

Current Employee - Chief Research Engineer In LG Electronics/User Experience Designer in Seoul (South Korea)

I have been working at LG Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic, cutting-edge technology is the most important value.

Cons

accurate, well document is necessary to work

305 Other Employee Reviews for LG Electronics (View Most Recent)

TERRIBLE company to work for - STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Credit and Collections Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at LG Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My job was interesting,

kind of cool products (thought nothing that competition doesnt already do and usually better),

we had nice opportunities to purchase company products at discounted prices or from shops.

employee b-day celebrations where all the employees 1x a month would congratulate (this was somewhat cute)

My team was great, miss them

Cons

This is my experience I had working for DUBAI's office LG . Part of the office was also regional HQ for the middle East and Africa.

Culture of the company is toxic. Its Korean and I, as well as many other of my colleagues felt that they are not only BY FAR privileged to other nationalities but genuinely feel superior to other cultures / nationalities.

The company is totally not-accepting to other cultures, or opinions. Its even open about saying this. Of course the official company values that you'd have posted up on walls or you take online training on talk about normal values that you'd find say..in any other US or EU company..but the reality is starkly different.

This has changed, btw, with last CEO (i think Naam was his name?) and being replaced by a CEO from the founding family. The former CEO wanted to make the company truly international, hired even senior management who were not Korean (e.g. the CHRO - top HR guy sitting in Seoul - was an american (came from Ford i think) and in the countries he promoted open, inclusive culture where koreans were not the only managers.

New CEO changed this and the culture of the company became within couple days even anti-non korean. We had this sense of now we are gonna get "payback" and Koreans will finally get back what was lost. I also felt the failure of the company (the former CEO Nam was fired bc company did not catch the trend of mobiles properly) was blamed that this simply happened because of western management/bc the company opened to western ways too much.

At this time MANY senior managers who were not Korean were fired in the most unfair way.
    Honesty and looking straight in ones' eye was totally not a trait of the management (higher management was, within few week 100% Korean only). Non-Korean senior leaders were not looked in the eye and told, e.g. - look - we no longer can afford you..or things' changed, we are trying to go back to the roots and this international/multinational experiment has not worked out, so we gotta lay-you-off but instead EVERY senior manager pretended that everything is just as it was before..and then e.g. would come up to the non-Korean senior manager and have him sign a new contract which was with much lower compensation or a pure and simple demotion. Saying -its' nothing, its fine, its just temporary, sign please.

many people at the time were very disgusted being played like this.

Management, there was unwritten rule, was pure Korean. Not only the top senior management - but all the management in the subsidy i had worked in (Dubai together with the region's office) was strictly koreans only. They also rotate every 2-3years or so, so Ive seen new plenty change during my 3.5yrs tenure.

We'd e.g. get a new division manager who knew NOTHING about the market, knew NONE of the customers, market realities, cultural differences of middle east..and yet was assigned as the sales+marketing head for that particular business (such as TV or PC or home appliances...). This would be just unwise, lets say, if the guy said - ok - im here, that's how the company works..now tell me, introduce me to the customers, tell me more how it works here..but instead this guy starts yelling at his team the first day saying that his job is now to bring this lazy team up to a mark and doubling sales within 6 months e.g., refusing to meet the customers or meeting them from a position as if he were the savior.

Company does not work smart AT ALL. When someone tells me that Koreans work hard I just have to laugh. LONG is the word, but surely not smart. Its like 58 cigaret breaks during the day, time idling, walking around, spending time absolutely inefficiently, not planning one's day (can you believe the company doesnt even use OUTLOOK to plan meetings?). When I started to use Outlook to plan meetings they first looked at me strange then said it was very High-tech and maybe the whole company should use it SOMEDAY and then just ignored it..and I had given up. Meetings are held either regular times (eg we had all-management meeting every Sunday 8AM) or just that you walk up to someone and say - we have a meeting NOW. Or more often - you get called to a "meeting".
    The culture there was working LONG hours. This only, however, applied to Korean staff. The rest was simply able to do their job very well within the mandatory 9hrs.
    The Korean staff (no matter whether this was management or assistants) stayed until 10PM - 12AM...early morning... doing i dont know what. After that together to a restaurant where more often than not would get quite a bit of drinks.

Staying super-late was pretty much mandatory for them. Going home at six was looked up as "you dont care". Staying very long was looked as - you are dedicated. Some people tried..but then you just realize how absurd it is to stay long..when you actually have nothing to do.

One of the first experience with my new manager was when he forced me to stay until 3AM. Why? Because OTHERS were staying. When I explained to him that I have finished all my work and I was heading home (this was 10PM btw) he got completely furious said he doesnt need managers like me, started ripping some papers off my wall (where i had org-charts i had been working on earlier) and some stuff. I first thought he was joking..but yeah - he wasnt.

because i wanted to keep the job I stayed. Did nothing until 3AM. Coming to the office 8AM the next day. Working from home is non-existent and not allowed.

Employees have to clock themselves - all levels (besides the Korean workers of course). Every day starts at 8AM and if you are late - you are in TROUBLE. I had big problem with this and quite often came few mins late. I had constant problem re this :)

I know of a guy who kindly asked (btw high-up manager!) if he could come to work by 8:30 because he's got kids who he needs to drive to school which wont open until after 8. and the earliest he could make it was 8:30-8:45 to the office. Alternative was only to make kids go to a different school! He thought this was pretty much a formality and was sure that his Korean boss would be OK with it, esp. since he himself was also a high-up manager (in normal company it woudl not even cross your mind to ask for something like this). He was told he can't and that if he comes late he'd be fired.

Company is VERY inefficient this way. LOTS of time is wasted. A LOT.

* The manager is GOD. When the manager who's above you says something..even if complete and utter BS no-one (below him in org.) will say anything but approval. Absolutely ridiculous but that is the way it works. Saw this every single day. E.g. - Regional office president (they call themselves presidents :)) says - We will increase sales in our mobile division X times with this new model (everyone nods) because its the best phone in the world hands-down (everyone nods again) and we will sell 5million units (careful cheers). Reality? EVERYONE knows the phone is a failure because has already hit the market, the main partner says his customers dont like it and that it will sell poorly AND there are quality problems (already quite a few returns). Yet - no-one says anything.

Managers are often very nasty to their teams. Aggressive behavior is very common, screaming at employees pretty much every-day occurrence. Often times you hear talking to their team in manner like - HOW MANY TIMES DID I TELL YOU...xyz or YOU ARE SO LAZY AND INCOMPETENT. They are very careful not to cuss or tell you that you are in idiot, e.g., but greatly insult people in all other possible ways.

We e.g. had this one product manager who would scream at his team so loud (usually in a meeting room just his team) that EVERYONE heard it in the open space. In a way - funny - but if you really thought about it - very inappropriate, and insulting to treat people in your own team like this.

People skills of management were just terrible. Insults, racist comments, totally politically incorrect remarks, plain inappropriate comments were everyday occurrence. E.g. - sat with my manager and my team, we were presenting him something..and all of a sudden he looks at my team-member (a lady) and tells her - "Jane - tell me - are you saving money?" she looks perplexed at this peculiar Q and goes - yes, I do sir, and he keeps on "right..that's good..because I notice that you have this ugly mark on your face - this - this - ugly big mark and maybe you have operation..you would look better than". I KID YOU NOT PEOPLE. This was CFO of the division looking at approx. 650mil revenue business!

and I have MANY examples which are of this nature - being not only plain stupid, but also insulting and tactless to employees but also to customers/partners.

* Unethical. Company very openly even supports breaking laws (i cant say specifics bc it might put my former colleagues in danger), circumventing regulations, bending of rules, lying, unethical behavior to customers such as lying to them about pricing (e.g. you look in the guys eyes (top 3 partner) telling him hes got the best prices + hes only one of 3 other partners you work on the market with (ie exclusive) and you give him certain models that you do not give to any other - even president of the company says this...while EVERYONE in the room (LG employees) know that its not true- that theres more partners, that theres better pricing sometimes given to other and that the "hit" models you also give to others.
    Once, e.g., this backfired, one customer sales rep. by accident sent a price-list for some other partner to this particular partner. Big OOOPS :) Within hours this partner with top management showed up with very serious faces and demanded a meeting with the "president" - ie MD of the subsidy demanding explanation. The meeting took place, the partner voiced his concern that he does not get fair treatment and said examples are that he does not get not best..but not even equal pricing to other partners who are not even supposed to exist in the market.

MD response? - ITS NOT TRUE, of course its not true, you are our dearest customer and you always get the best prices (which not only showed disrespect and lying) but also showed how plain stupid the MD is as it was obvious (at least to me) that the partner must have found out something.
    The partner then, very upset and disappointed, threw accross the table the price-list. Absolute proof of how we screwed them over and now are lying about it.
    Instead of apology and change in behavior the MD goes - ow yeah? SO WHAT? We are a sales company and we need to sell - you guys didnt buy enough so of cooourse we do this. I was so ashamed. The partner was speechless (new management at the time..later they got used to this).

There are so many more example where the company acted unethically. TOwards customers, own employees, toward the official government regulators...toward everybody.

Be careful when getting hired by LG (at least Dubai office). it was VERY common that one would get the offer, accept...obviously quite old job...join....and find out that things changed and he now will have lower position or lower salary...or that the job is not available any more because they hired someone else. TOTALLY COMMON.

* Quality of people obviously quite low. Management is often times very inexperienced and in companies I had worked before these managers from LG would not last a DAY! Even the very TOP guys (region HQ) would have skills equal to those of a fresh graduate often times. Amazing! Im talking about presentation skills, English (working for Region HQ one would expect good level of English), people skills, experts in their fields. People skills in most were not bad or poor...but non-existent.

There is a group (at least at the time when i was there) of very well paid people (even overpaid in my opinion) of non-Korean managers who were supposed to take the company more multinational, bring new ways of working, new style, new ideas. When new CEO came..this quickly changed and pretty much all foreign managers were either fired, were forced out, demoted or had left seeing what turn the company had taken.

Then there are other who are paid very little - ie very big discrepancies. I, e.g., was paid more than 4-5x what ppl in my team were paid (i was well paid and they were really LOW paid). With such low pay for most of the ppl you get are really low quality. Paying too much also does not create quality at all obviously. E.g. there was a manager in charge of B2B business...which was virtually non-existent. This guy stayed on + brought in teams and the manager was paid more than plenty + expensive team selling products which company NEVER had (only had them in the pipeline). Spoke to the guy- was smart and all..wanted to bring changes, develop new business and all...just that in his 1-2yrs he was there he never actually sold any real business - because the products he was supposed to sell..were not yet ready.

HR was simply very VERY poor quality. Also - never really stood out for employees - e.g. - custom was..and it had worked for many years until then..that employees had 2x a year bonuses equal to their month's salary. It simply worked this way and all the emplyees counted on this (accepted lower salary bc they knew this bonus compensates for it). Management called us - all employee meeting and said - we are going to DELAY this bonus bc performance of our company has not been so great. You will get it paid in the next 6 months. Guess what we got paid in 6 months? NOTHING. Not even that other bonus.
    They thought this a "smart" way of cutting everyone's salary by almost 20%. Made it then a performance bonus.

performance rating? I was sure I over-achieved on every-single matrix I was given for my role (had written targets). My bonus was the lowest possible. When i confronted my boss he simply said - your salary is high. you dont need bonus. Arguing that my performance, per company rules is evaluated based on my KPIs and targets and not based on his "feeling" was of course futile. Later he told me that yes, I had over-performed and all..but my salalry is just high and that's why my bonus was low + rating was changed so they dont have to pay.

* career progression / development is non-existent of VERY slow. At least in subsidies. Structure of the subsidy was fairly simple - President (boss of sales pretty much), equal relatively is CFO (who has all the operations+finance..) then below then its business divisions lead by korean managers - e.g. sales head for PC / mobiles / home appliances..etc.. and then its the little ppl. Above this is regional HQ (also in Dubai) who pretty much mirrors the organization- so also sales-heads, finance heads... Only the smallest businesses would have chance to have a non-korean manager..who anyways will never be on equal with the rest of the management team.
    a korean will always come before you. Even though, e.g., i might have been the same organization chart-level as a busines unit lead he would be able to tell me whatever he wanted - or at least they felt this way. I had quite a few really heated arguments with them where they approached me in manner of - listen my little slave - this is what i ORDER you to do...

How did i survive? Well for one, i was paid pretty well, second - I LOVED my job, I loved my customers, I loved the partners and I also loved my team. I think my team had achieved really good success and it was great experience - as in - negative experience which will teach you be more humble, appreciate good things more, see how things should NOT be done, ability to deal with REALLY difficult people.

I am now working in another company - EU / AMERICAN and I am very happy here, VERY appreciative of well run company, theres not a single day when I dont stop myself and think how grateful I am for being in a company which respects individuals, is ethical..etc.. all the NORMAL things which one takes for granted..until they start working for LG ELECTRONICS - a company I would NEVER EVER work for!

last - i can totally see how this might sound unbelievable and exaggerated. I assure you - all of this is true. I also want to say that I am not biased towards Koreans as country / culture. Not at all! I had a Korean lady working in my team, reporting to me and it was working out VERY well. Totally nothing against Koreans as nation! Koreans who read this - I advise you to NOT work for LG (even though I know LG is a very very popular and liked employer in South Korea). If you work for LG - you will NEVER build skills which are valued in a truly good company / would be valued internationally. Dont know of anyone who grew up professionally in LG who then became successful in successful truly international companies.

useless. Management does not listen

productive & fun workplace

Current Employee - Senior Sales Administrative - Executive in Greater Noida (India)

I have been working at LG Electronics full-time

Pros

gives Free Lunch with seniors

Cons

company culture is harder to establish and maintain

There are newer employer reviews for LG Electronics