There are newer employer reviews for LRN

Worse Place I've Worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LRN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product/s were great as were my colleagues. LRN manages to attract smart and bright people. I really can't say anything more positive about LRN since it was probably my worst working experience.

Cons

I've never been in a work place that so disrespected its employees. I witnessed people 10-20 years older than LRN's CEO being publicly berated and chastised in front of others by LRN's CEO. It was clear that the only workers that the CEO had any respect for was the IT types. Everyone else who worked with the products were disrespected.

Putting that all aside, the place had no loyalty to its employees. I witnessed the company grow from 2 dozen to somewhere around 150 employees and contractors. Only to watch the place gutted. First wave of 50 let go at one time and then probably more 75 additional people let go over a year.
They brought people in with the lure of stock options that were worthless and paid well below market.

Even before the massive lay-offs, LRN was like a revolving door. Senior management members came and went on a weekly basis. People who had given up lucrative careers elsewhere.

Even if LRN now does pay market, you don't want to work in such a dysfunctional place where the CEO is not there for the product and his employees but about making himself famous.

None.

142 Other Employee Reviews for LRN (View Most Recent)

A Great Place to Work- If YOU also decide to make it so.

Current Employee - Engagement Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LRN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LRN is at its core an aspirational company. People are drawn to the mission of helping people around the world do the right thing. When we live these values and do what we say we can do, it is a beautiful place to be. Our partners recognize it, coworkers will praise one another for it and we know that we make a difference.

The firm hires individuals who are passionate, interesting, far from cookie cutter and smart. I also meet people who are dedicated to making a difference and are humble about their credentials.

I find myself constantly challenged with situations that are ambigous, that require immediate attention (and handling with care) and requiring smarts/heart/and conviction to solve. On my best of days here, I find myself rising to the challenge. On my toughest days, I feel frustrated. But I always remember two things: there is someone at LRN who can fix this and I can always come back tomorrow for another round of battle.

Cons

Because we are an aspirational company, changes sometimes get made quickly. These decisions can be challenging for colleagues to absorb without context of why we are making these changes and what we hope to accomplish. Sometimes a simple conversation can go a long way.

We sometimes communicate with the wrong medium. Email is a popular medium of communication here and sometimes we forget that walking over to someone's cube can easily solve what 5 emails can't.

We deal with philosophy, ethics and complex ideas. Sometimes HOW you say something is just as important as WHAT you say. Whereas in most companies this may not be an issue, at LRN understanding your audience and how to communicate with them can make the difference between having your point be heard or not.

Employees are much more demanding of this organization than they would be of others. Part of it is because of the draw of working for a company that is bigger than itself and that has a lofty mission (of making sure that people know that doing the right thing is not just good for you, me and them but it's also good for business). When there is a disconnect between what the mission is and what people perceive as reality, people have the choice to dig deeper and understand why or reject any responsibility for their situation and blame it on the company's shortcomings. I sincerely believe it takes two to tango. If something's broken, help fix it. If you can't fix it,, get context or help. If you can't do that then this place may not be for you.

I'm always surprised when I read about former employees who point out issues, little redeeming answers and warn others to steer clear of this company.

I would say to someone who is considering joining this organization or working with it, do your homework and come to your own conclusions.

I have had many more great days here than bad days. There are passionate people who want to achieve the vision and one can either look at the glass as half full or half empty. I choose to see the half full and will continue working hard on making this place and myself the best we can be.

People that work at LRN are passionate, driven and eager to see this company become what it aspires to be. We need to continue to build on our environment to allow all colleagues to feel safe in saying what they need to (even when HOW they say it is not perfect).

I think the market place is starting to notice that we made changes and strides from where we were last year. I would love to see us stay on course by continuing to speak our truth, focus on removing barriers to our success and spending our time on creating strategies/processes and opportunities for us to grow. There is a lot of creativity and passion waiting to unleash some great ideas here.

You have started making the right changes (e.g. performance review process was great, unlimited vacation and sharing more information). Please continue to do so. Trust will build with more of your actions.

Continue to find deeper ways to connect with employees and provide context for decisions. Rumors can run amok. Colleagues definitely need to also ask but they can be helped with context.

Inspiring place to come to work made up of talented and driven people.

Current Employee - Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LRN full-time

Pros

The company is striving for a non-hierarchical structure and is pursuing a strategy of self-governance. It is a company about ideas, and that means communication and being able to lead others and build consensus are key required skills. It is a place where you have to be forward thinking and open to change. LRN isn’t about the status quo. For me, our organizational model has afforded tremendous opportunity and creativity. There is a lot of space to have freedom to come up with new ideas, to challenge and to create. LRN engages with all types of organizations and some of the worlds largest companies to do work that changes behavior and culture for the better, that is a wonderful thing to be a part of. And there is an unlimited vacation policy.

Cons

One place the company could do better is by promoting to the executive team from within. LRN has more work to do around ensuring employees understand that they have opportunity for growth and that the company is investing in their professional development.

Keep extending trust more and more, the more colleagues know that they are trusted to make decisions the better.

There are newer employer reviews for LRN