There are newer employer reviews for LRN

I feel truly fortunate that I get to come to work at LRN everyday.

Current Employee - Solutions in New York, NY
Current Employee - Solutions in New York, NY

I have been working at LRN full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work I do is stimulating and important. We're trying to do things that have never been done well before and they can have a profound impact on the world we live in.

The company is ambitious and playing at the highest levels. I have opportunity to connect with movers and shakers around the globe.

Most days I learn something new. What we do is inherently complex. It requires we think broadly about the world and how it works, and continue to learn new things. We operate across a broad spectrum of ideas, activities and relationships. We need to understand the connect points.

I'm growing professionally. There are no boxes at LRN. Influence evolves out of your behavior. Each day I have opportunities both to practice my leadership skills and take on new responsibilities. Where I see problems, I feel empowered to make suggestions, collaborate with colleagues and get them fixed.

My colleagues are kind, supportive and decent people. They're committed to living in a moral and ethical world. They have diverse backgrounds and experiences. They want each other and the company to succeed.

The office space is amazing, the snacks generous and the coffee plentiful.

Cons

The company is evolving. It's shifting its business model and operating structure. It's making changes in its talent. There are some growing pains as it works through the process. You have to come to the table ready to contribute, willing to experiment and wanting to be part of building something exceptional.

There are easier ways to make more money. As a mission driven organization, compensation is below market.

Standards can be quite high. You have to have character and thick skin, and be willing to take criticism as an opportunity for growth. And, you need the self-confidence to throw yourself into the conversation.

142 Other Employee Reviews for LRN (View Most Recent)

More of a Cult than a Company

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LRN as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The ideas the company is based on are innovative, and quite possibly correct. They have beautiful locations in Los Angeles and New York City. LRN was a first-mover in the Ethics and Compliance learning space. They acquired GreenOrder, a sustainability consulting firm, which also had some exciting ideas about sustainability and competitiveness.

Cons

The CEO may be a visionary, but visionaries and CEOs are generally cut from different cloth. His goals seem to be constellated around making himself the world's pre-eminent pop business ethicist, but he doesn't appear to have the intellectual firepower. His lack of management skills is reflected in the ageing course catalog, diminishing market share, and 50%+ yearly turnover. Only a small cadre of desperate souls have been there more than a year. Everyone else has just been hired on the strength of what is indeed an inspiring mission, but the CEOs every action is out of step with that mission. As someone whose job it is to work with dysfunctional companies, LRN is easily the most dysfunctional firm I've ever worked with or for. The one group of competent, well-managed employees at LRN was GreenOrder, but the attrition in that group was particularly steep once they figured what they'd got themselves into.

The Board should retire Dov and replace him with a professional management team. He must have a controlling interest in the firm, though, because any rational Board would have done this years ago.

Inspired and moved to lead!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LRN as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Never worked for an organization that is more empowering to its employees to lead their own jobs in great teams of professionals. Great Mission, organization, location, governance, benefits and many other things.

Cons

LRN is not for everyone. People who need to be given direction, have little initiative, take little or no responsibility or control for their own environment, would probably not be all that happy at LRN.

Allowing waves to develop - - always!!

There are newer employer reviews for LRN