Most underrated intern experience

Former Employee - Software in Wichita, KS
Former Employee - Software in Wichita, KS

I worked at LSI

Pros

Best Intern experience I have had, the allowed me to basically work across the entire source, which very few companies do and all of the full time software engineers were very helpful. The company has a solid market base and are looking to expand into the networking area which is one of the reasons why I joined. Also the work times are very flexible. I typically would start each day around 8:15 or 8:30 but some other interns would start at like 9 or 9:30 and then work until 6:00 or 6:30. If you had to leave or take care of something to during the work day people really didn't mind, as long as you were getting your work done.

Cons

The only downside was the location. Working in Wichita was not exactly convenient for me. They do have offices all over though, and have a decentralized development strategy so if I worked there full time I wouldn't be stuck in Wichita.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Engineers led by non technical managements

Current Employee - Senior Engineer - Hardware
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer - Hardware

I have been working at LSI

Pros

Get to work with some of very talented down to earth engineers. Engineers get along with each other very well. Cameradry and team work are common.

Cons

Too many middle managements who are not very technical. Promotion to management tends to weigh more on being agreeable with other top/middle managers and less on technical merit and less on capabilities to manage or set technical direction. In other words, LSI is full of middle managers who don't know how to manage people and don't know how to set technical direction.

Advice to Management

Remove some of the middle management layers or replace middle managements with technical people who can manage. Afterall, this is a high tech company.

Good people and a changing culture

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Allentown, PA

I worked at LSI

Pros

Overall good people work there and generally have a good attitude. Hard work is very common and expected, but shouldn't it be? Upper management team seemed to be moving the ship in the right direction in making the company lean and profitable.

Cons

They were still adjusting to the merger with Agere, but most of that should have been completed by now. Downsizing an organization is inevitable when two combine, but that was a long standing tradition even before then (at Agere). Always having to cut costs and not hiring or replacing people tends to leave a negative impact on your workers.

Advice to Management

Be open to doing things other than "the LSI way". Change is good for every company, and while you needed to outsource and sell off portions of your business remember to communicate the reasons for those moves throughout the rank and file.