LUSH North America

www.lushusa.com
  www.lushusa.com
There are newer employer reviews for LUSH North America

Never been happier, but still haven't been able to create a career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, amazing ethics, comfortable work environment, dedicated staff and management who will listen and work with you to attain goals and targets.

Cons

Very very little chance to move up within the company... Many of us have left to find salaried jobs because we simply can't afford the cost of living on 9 dollars an hour part time.

150 Other Employee Reviews for LUSH North America (View Most Recent)

Mafia and mean girls

Current Employee - Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Shop Manager

I have been working at LUSH North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly good pay for management
    Great opportunities for learning and development
    Traveling abroad for managers meetings
    Excellent healthcare benefits
    Good work life balance
    Company culture allowing tattoos and piercings

Cons

Disorganized operational structure
    Outdated POS technology
    Poor pay scale for support management
    No formal review structure for store managers
    Rotating "supervisors" in what could be considered regional upper management (at LUSH this group of people is called the Retail Support Team)
    Constantly changing policy and procedure, coaching format and floor leading standards

All things considered, this company has some really great and exciting things happening. Campaigns are engaging and informative (for employee and customer), and the products are fantastic! If you're looking for a challenge and you are looking to learn how to truly run a business from the bottom up - look no further than LUSH.

Unfortunately, Retail support team definitely has a mean girls vibe, often times communicating in cryptic and unprofessional ways about colleagues and other store managers. It's a shame that career advancement becomes so political when it should really be about who can do the job the best. Store managers are aware of that there is a "blacklist" (employees who are written off by LUSH and might never be promoted) and the "chosen few" (employees who by some grace became someone's favorite and surprise, magically get promoted). It's frustrating to feel like manager meetings are fashion shows and popularity contests (seriously, "you can't sit with us" happens here). But I think to some degree this happens at every job, although it seems to be worse here.

Focus more on store manager careerpathing (formal reviews would be a great place to start). Try to eliminate the friction between RST and store manager groups by rolling out consistent tools and programs (more operational structure, everyone using the same documents and logs). There should only be one interpretation of the correct way to do something, not different interpretations depending on who you get your visit from. RST visits should be supportive, not disruptive to your team or customer experience.

Great for students and managers, not for hourly employees

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ethics behind the company are wholistic and exciting, especially for a company of this size. The discount and shop culture is also nice, and I appreciate being allowed to have tattoos. I also feel good about selling the products because I know who made them, when, where, what's in them, and the origin of ingredients.

Cons

Because every shop operates somewhat independently, there is quite a difference in management/shop culture depending on each location. I have worked at two different shops within the company and the biggest issue, for me, is development and careerpathing. Lush boasts of "internal promotion" being its top priority, yet I have seen them onboard the most un-qualified outside hires that, in turn, were not equipped to train others. This can completely eliminate promotion opportunities for those who have been working as floor leaders/keyholders/shop trainers. Also, raises are given at the will of each employer. I've had managers who award raises regularly twice a year, and others who have made me devise a three-month plan just to earn a dollar more. I have worked for this company since 2009 and have come to realize they care more about their ingredients than the people who sell their products.

Make RST more effective, rather than an intimidating group of women who contradict one another and whisper about employees while on the shop floor. Institute consistent shop surveys so there is oversight of management. (For example, our shop recently got a rant pointing out the manager and MIT and NOTHING was said about it. Some employees weren't even told about it.) Value the people who are actually selling your products. Instead of setting illustrious goals to open more and more shops/spas, create a higher retention rate by paying people what they deserve. It saddens me to know that after five years of working for a company, I can go up the street to Kiehls or Trader Joes and make more as a new-hire. I know many people within the company who feel this way, but we stick around because we are dedicated to the concept of working for an ethical, privately-owned company.

There are newer employer reviews for LUSH North America