LUSH North America

www.lushusa.com

Horrible training structure with no room to be promoted! Hired under false pretenses!

Former Employee - Manager In Training  in  Atlantic City, NJ
Former Employee - Manager In Training in Atlantic City, NJ

Pros

The discounts on the products are wonderful. The customers are generally nice. You always smell fabulous. It is not a stuffy place to work at all. If you don't like 9-5 this is the place for you. The products are amazing and easy to sell.

Cons

I was hired as a manager in training. I was excited about the job because I was a customer first and knew what a wonderful product Lush produced. After about 2 weeks into the position I realized something was structurally wrong with the company at least in North America. I had management experience in retail and other areas so I knew when my red flags went up that I should be concerned.I never received any training without having to prompt the manager, although I was given on the day I started a training binder that no one ever went over with me. After one month I was left to be the manager for a week while the " manager " was at a meeting. She left me with no operational tools to run the store properly and barely any staff. On two of those days i worked a 13 hour day on top of having an hour drive both ways. Not a good introduction to a new job. Besides not being trained, I believe I was hired under false pretenses. I was told weekends were not a requirement but important to work. Being in retail previously I knew this. I was told we work a 40 hr week, and I could make my own schedule. I was also told I was being hired because the current manager was moving to another location. NONE of this was TRUE! I worked well over 40 hrs a week without being paid for it, because MIT's are salary. At least ONE weekend day is REQUIRED and I never got to do my own schedule. I never knew when I was working because the manager could barely get the schedule out on time. I was never given any feedback on my performance even after I asked. I was being " trained " by a manager that was supposed to be leaving but she never made an attempt to. Therefore I was left in limbo. After about a month I tried to contact a retail support team member to see where I should be in my training, because I was getting nowhere asking the manager, but as with everything with LUSH I got ignored. She played phone tag with me then gave up. I finally emailed her and got no response. The pay is not good. Life work balance doesn't exist. The selling tactics are ridiculous and pushy. The lack of training, at least in the store was in, was uncalled for. Lush looks great on paper but I have never worked in a more unorganized place in the 15 years I have been working. DONT DO IT!

When you interview please make sure the person doing it is being HONEST in the expectations. As far as I saw no reviews were done on management. I think that your company could avoid turnover if you would just keep and eye on your upper management. Please make sure your staff is being trained correctly. Also, stop making employees be so pushy in selling. I love your product but how can i continue to be a customer if I know how your management treats their employees. Ethically your a wonderful company but if you don't carry that to the maintenance of your employees then really how ethical are you. I say take a CLOSE look at some of your management!

Other reviews for LUSH North America

High school all over again...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

Great discount on awesome products
    Fun place to work and great customers
    Chance to try new products before they hit the market
    Company takes a lot of Charitable/Green initiatives

Cons

Management tends to choose favorites among the staff and doesn't make an effort to develop all employees into a team

Low pay no extra perks for employees who invest a lot of time and energy into the company

Advancement opportunities limited if you aren't "buddies" with the manager. Employees are comprised of a young crowd and tend to be rewarded based on "popularity" rather than actual merit.

Higher MORE experienced managers who really care about developing excellent sales teams - not just creating a company clique. Try to create real opportunities for your staff to advance and you will have more loyal associates who excel in sales! If you care about your employees they will be more inclined to care about your company.

Good Company to work seasonally but not good idea for long term.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good opportunity for newcomers to earn some local experiences and explore Canadian culture.
    "Amazing products" that you may try with 50% off price.

Cons

Can't find a structure of this company, maybe that's a part of LUSH culture.
    They told you there are many opportunities in this company, but you can never reach.
    Pay ....... if you are a hard worker, you'll find out it's not equally.
    After you work here over 4 months, you can feel their political atmosphere---- it's part of their culture. They called it people skill.

Hard to say anything any more........
    management team will say: if you like us, you stay. If you don't like us, get out of here.....
    I can say hard worker will never get good pay in "some room".......

There are newer employer reviews for LUSH North America.

Worked for LUSH North America? Contribute to the Community!