There are newer employer reviews for LUZ
There are newer employer reviews for LUZ

See Most Recent

Helpful (1)

Best company in localization industry.

  • Work/Life Balance
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at LUZ full-time

Recommends
Positive Outlook
Recommends
Positive Outlook

Pros

High-quality translation product.
Strong company culture
Ethical business practices
Employee morale is high

Cons

Growth may cause staffing issues

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Location
  • Any Job Title
  • Any Status
  1. Great work product / Questionable upper management

    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee

    I have been working at LUZ

    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook
    Doesn't Recommend
    Neutral Outlook

    Pros

    - Wonderful technology
    - Solid process in place
    - Some very good people working there
    - Good team events for employees
    - Excellent deliverables to clients

    Cons

    - Couple-run company, therefore not much any individual can change
    - Be wary of promises made, even those in writing - they have tendency to change on whims
    - Some upper management has an iron-fist style of management. All employees I spoke with have had similar experiences and fear this manager, but no one will say anything = less than productive exchanges
    - Very budget conscious, therefore usually hire inexperienced people for lower positions at minimum costs, leading to turnover within a few years

    Advice to Management

    - Have someone in place to filter the iron-fist. Makes employees much happier
    - Invest in longer term/more experienced workers, which may mean allowing offsite workers


  2. Good place to work, but limited growth potential

    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

    I worked at LUZ full-time (More than 3 years)

    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
    Recommends
    Positive Outlook

    Pros

    One of LUZ's goals is to the best place to work in the industry. Although it has lately moved a little away from that end, placing more of an emphasis on sales and growth, it is still a very good place to work: management is reasonable in its demands, employees are friendly, and the overall atmosphere is casual but professional.

    LUZ is extremely good at hiring the right people. 90% of hires are talented, motivated individuals, and the other 10% "leave" within a few weeks. They also do a great job training their new hires, with a two-week training plan for everyone followed by hands-on training from team members.

    LUZ is also at the top of its industry; it is wholly focused on the life science industries, and it does its job very well. It is currently in a "growth stage" which will probably not pan out, but it will probably be looking to expand its workforce in the coming months, particularly for its Boston office.

    Cons

    Plain and simple, LUZ is a penny-pincher. Good workers can expect regular raises in the 1 - 3% range. Getting promoted from Project Coordinator to Associate Project Manager took me from $42K to $46K; not a huge addition to an already very low San Francisco salary.

    Growth potential at LUZ is limited. Mediocre employees can expect to keep doing the same thing month after month, year after year, while no distinction is made between "good" and "great" employees: they get rewarded when it's convenient (yearly performance reviews, or when a position opens up) and they get rewarded in the same manner. For those really looking to progress in their careers, I recommend using LUZ a jumping block to other things.

    Advice to Management

    While you're doing a great job hiring and training new talent, more needs to be done to retain top talent, especially production staff (it's become a trend for top project managers to leave within a year or two of joining LUZ). While growth is great, don't lose your focus on what made you succeed in the first place: a commitment to delivering the highest quality life science translations and a desire to be the best place to work in the industry.


There are newer employer reviews for LUZ
There are newer employer reviews for LUZ

See Most Recent

Work at LUZ? Share Your Experiences

LUZ

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.