LYRASIS

www.lyrasis.org
  www.lyrasis.org
There are newer employer reviews for LYRASIS

I love working at LYRASIS.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came from a background in small nonprofits. LYRASIS has been amazingly flexible and supportive of me as a new librarian. They encourage me to present at conferences and work around my schedule to allow me the time I need to cultivate opportunities.

I have never worked at a place as eager to assist me with the course of my career. Management are accessible, responsive, and above all helpful. There is the sense that all individual victories are victories for the company and vice versa.

Excellent benefits - even with reductions, we receive great medical and 4 weeks of vacation from day one. The smaller staff is committed, considerate, and friendly. There is an air of excitement and enthusiasm for the digital direction the company has taken. Recently, the organization has begun hiring for new positions.

Cons

There is some negative memory of the salad days of years past- much of the griping you see in other reviews is due to this. We no longer work with OCLC in the same way, and as a result, the company culture has changed. Those who were there for the boom days have lingering stress and resentment for the rightsizing that occurred following the end of that relationship.

I've been at a number of organizations that have experienced layoffs, and I would say that this reaction is nothing out of the ordinary. Overall morale is improving everyday.

Keep doing what you're doing!

15 Other Employee Reviews for LYRASIS (View Most Recent)

horrible environment with miserable coworkers

I worked at LYRASIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you are liked by management you don't have to worry about actually doing any work, you don't even have to show up, you can just dump it on your coworkers.

Cons

This place was like being in high-school, full of bullies, (including one who would actually "accidentally" run into me, hit me, and push me against walls). I had one coworker who used to cry at my desk when she made a mistakes, (rather than learning opportunities mistakes here are prized opportunities for coworkers to denigrate each other). Senior management spends their time eavesdropping, so of course middle management does the same. It's actually kind of funny to see them tiptoeing around and peering over cubicles and lurking near office doors, context is never an issue. They do this to contribute value as this is really the only thing they can do as they are oblivious to the work that the organization is doing. The only employees who are actually accomplishing anything are overworked and are all lower level.

stop referring to your staff as your "minions" and take at least a few minutes to learn what they are doing instead of trying to cause problems.

Like scrambling for deck chairs on the Titanic?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to meet and network with a lot of professionals in the library science world.

Cons

The benefits others have raved about are gone as are most of the staff, including contract positions there are only about 50 employees left.. Middle management refuses to document processes and procedures, this allows them the ability to change them upon a whim, which wouldn't be so bad except they rarely remember to communicate changes to the staff. Additionally, middle management continually requests employees to lie regarding the status of orders and renewals to both vendors and members. Currently the organization aligns more closely with publishers than with members, members definitely are getting the short end.

Increase visibility and reestablish partnership with membership, this is really what supports the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for LYRASIS