There are newer employer reviews for LYRASIS

I love working at LYRASIS.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a background in small nonprofits. LYRASIS has been amazingly flexible and supportive of me as a new librarian. They encourage me to present at conferences and work around my schedule to allow me the time I need to cultivate opportunities.

I have never worked at a place as eager to assist me with the course of my career. Management are accessible, responsive, and above all helpful. There is the sense that all individual victories are victories for the company and vice versa.

Excellent benefits - even with reductions, we receive great medical and 4 weeks of vacation from day one. The smaller staff is committed, considerate, and friendly. There is an air of excitement and enthusiasm for the digital direction the company has taken. Recently, the organization has begun hiring for new positions.

Cons

There is some negative memory of the salad days of years past- much of the griping you see in other reviews is due to this. We no longer work with OCLC in the same way, and as a result, the company culture has changed. Those who were there for the boom days have lingering stress and resentment for the rightsizing that occurred following the end of that relationship.

I've been at a number of organizations that have experienced layoffs, and I would say that this reaction is nothing out of the ordinary. Overall morale is improving everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

reviews filtered by

My experience has not been challenging, and unsatisfactory in terms of my skills, background and experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS

Pros

Great benefits package includes 4 weeks vacation, extremely liberal 403(b) employee match, great medical/dental coverage.

Cons

Environment tends to not be welcoming to outsiders (those not from library profession). Upper management tends to operate in a very "reactive" vs "proactive" manner. Experience, work ethic and proven skills don't seem to be taken into consideration regarding promotions, raises, etc.

I don't recommend Lyrasis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at LYRASIS

Pros

Lyrasis is big compared to some other regional library nonprofits, which may have certain advantages. Some great people work there.

Cons

Management is insular and not open to other ways of seeing things. In general, the year 2010 is a bad time to work for a library nonprofit due to the economic downturn.

Advice to Management

They couldn't hear it constructive criticism back last year, so I have no confidence that they'd hear it this year.