La Madeleine
www.lamadeleine.com Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

McDonald's on the Seine

Line Worker : Bakery (Current Employee)
Arlington, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine

ProsGot a free entree every day. Could take home a loaf of bread a day.
Generally treated well by the public. Quiet workplace.

ConsNot all co-workers know how to behave in a quasi-upscale environment. You don't yell, you don't play grab-ass, you don't talk street hustla smack. Mgmnt really should quash that.

Regardless of appearances, most of the baking in done centrally and trucked to the stores. The stuff that IS cooked in the stores is basically thawed and popped in a convection oven.

The cons of working at LM are largely those of working food service in general: working weekends and holidays, closing one night and opening the next morning, flakey co-workers.

After Patrick sold the company (to El Chico?) it kinda lost its soul. :-(

Advice to Senior ManagementIf mgmnt is going to play the "that's not how it's done in France" card it would be neat if they, you know, had ever been there. I have more time in French bakeries and bistros than any LM manager I've met to date.

But here's the big thing: LM gets away with the prices it charges because of the PERCEPTION of an upscale environment and food. Anything that detracts from this perception will cause customers to realize they just spent a non-trivial amount of cash on fluff.

You MUST keep the coffee, caesar salad, and bread up to snuff. Everything else can come and go.

opportunity for advancement, not for creativity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros: working in the Texas DFW area there is a lot of interaction with corporate,… Cons: corporate is more or less without much creative vision; conservative… Advice to Senior Management: open the company hierarchy up for advice from the part-time… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good job for college/high school

Busser (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros: The management is very lenient when it comes to your education. Anytime I… Cons: The compensation is a bit too low for the work that you actually do at the restaurant. As… Advice to Senior Management: Keep in constant communication with the workers, overall just keep… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on La Madeleine.

Worked for La Madeleine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at La Madeleine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for La Madeleine CEO Jean-Roch Vachon. All reviews posted anonymously by La Madeleine employees.