La Petite Academy

I Wasted My Time Here

Teacher (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time for less than a year

ProsThe kids and the benefits. Being able to get time off when needed.

ConsThe fact it's corporate; more like "corporate concrete". A policy for a policy.
The "curriculum". They claim it's developed by a "team of educators", however, educators would know that 4 year olds are unable to read a comic strip and write what they see in the panels. These "educators" would know that 4 year olds are unable to guess the weight of an object, place it on the scale, see how much the object weighs, and subtract the two numbers. Really?
The premade schedule, calendar pieces, weather signs, center signs, cubbies (a black box) and the cubbie tags. I prefer to make my own (with the exception of the calendar and weather pieces), enjoy making my own, and was disappointed that anything in my classroom, including arrangement had to be " 'La Petite standard' ". What?
The center was filthy. Enough said.
The toys were older than dirt, shelves were faded and worn, and the playground eqiupment was over twenty years old. Really?
There is no teamwork. I had my days written out for my class and they weren't followed, and when I did have a teacher cover my break, I came back to a rowdy, loud class, messy classroom and complete chaos.
Lack of hours. My hours diminished to lack of enrollment, and many days I called in to see if I was working that day, or I was called by my director. I was called one morning and told I had to come in at a specific time. I got the message. Two hours later, I was texted by a director, asking me if I got the message about coming in. I didn't respond. Forty-five minutes before I was to come in, I got another call from the director, asking me if I was coming in, since nobody heard from me otherwise. Five minutes later, I got a text asking if I was coming into work that day. ????? And the only hours they had were closing hours. I was expected to come in and work for an hour, and leave. ?????
The fact that corporate doesn't promote establishing relationships with families outside the center. I had a parent I became close to ask me if I could pick up her son from school, as he attended a school the center didn't pick up from. I was off the clock, and was told I would have to fill out a waiver of liability.
Child guidance techniques were not applied; it seemed as though children could do whatever they wanted, while teachers sat there and texted/chatted/watched children play.
Liscensing rules were followed in terms of ratios.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of everything. Allow teachers to make their own things, like lesson plans, cubby tags, room arrangement and schedule. Promote teachers establishing relationships with families outside the center. Be friendly and hire directors who promote teamwork, along with cleanliness.

La Petite

Assistant Teacher (Former Employee)
Stafford, VA

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I loved the people that I worked with and I… Cons: The management was awful and we were understaffed. We were working open… Advice to Senior Management: Stop treating your employees like they are children. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Keep Driving!

Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
Champaign, IL

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time for more than a year

Pros: Easy to get a job here, little experience needed. Okay benefits. Curriculum has been created for toddlers,… Cons: VERY Low Pay!!!! Lack of Respect for Employees! Management is not concerned about policies or DCFS guidlines. Generally over ratio! Typically don't get to leave on time. Management… Advice to Senior Management: Higher people that care about employees and know how to run a business. Stop focusing on labor hours and making money for Learning Care Group… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on La Petite Academy.

Worked for La Petite Academy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at La Petite Academy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for La Petite Academy CEO Barbara J. Beck. All reviews posted anonymously by La Petite Academy employees.