La Petite Academy

www.learningcaregroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for La Petite Academy

High Expectations for Very Low Pay

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

The teacher to student ratio is good.

Cons

No school janitors!! The teachers are expected to not only wrangle the babies all day (to include switching babies to different classrooms to stay in ratio) they are also expected to do extensive lesson plans, AND display lesson plans on the classroom walls every week, AND sanitize the classrooms everyday after ther shift. The cleaning includes bleaching the toys and every surface, washing babies cups (if the parents demand one stays at the school), vacuuming, and moping. Let me go into the cup cleaning....To keep them sanitized in this germ ridden environment the teacher has to go to the kitchen and do a 3 step process to sanitize the cup or cups. RIDICULOUS. Not that the kids don't deserve clean cups, but the teachers should not have to do this job. They expect an enormous amount of work for extremely little pay. I have a BA and an MA with experience teaching children 3 and up...however since I had no degree specifically in early childhood ed my pay was 8.75. I took the job only to fill the gap while searching for a real career job with a salary...which thank god I found shortly after starting. Also, I fell sick 6 times while working all of 2 1/2 months there....my doctor bills were more than I got paid. I will never subject my kids to such a daycare environment.

Fix all the problems above. It would help if the corporation actually paid the teachers what they are worth since without them they wouldn't have anything. The manager of each location gets paid roughly 50-60,000......and the teachers are hourly and more often than not ...under $10 and hour.

100 Other Employee Reviews for La Petite Academy (View Most Recent)

You can probably do better

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Edmond, OK

I have been working at La Petite Academy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the kids
    the young people i worked with
    some of the parents

Cons

managment
    pay
    level of professionalism
    respect of the company for employees

I loved my kids and I was a kind and thoughtfull caregiver but I never felt valued by managment. The general attitude was adversarial with managment assuming that we needed to be watched to make sure we behaved. Alot of this possibly stemmed from their hiring so many "teachers" who were barely more than childeren themselves.

I Wasted My Time Here

Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The kids and the benefits. Being able to get time off when needed.

Cons

The fact it's corporate; more like "corporate concrete". A policy for a policy.
    The "curriculum". They claim it's developed by a "team of educators", however, educators would know that 4 year olds are unable to read a comic strip and write what they see in the panels. These "educators" would know that 4 year olds are unable to guess the weight of an object, place it on the scale, see how much the object weighs, and subtract the two numbers. Really?
    The premade schedule, calendar pieces, weather signs, center signs, cubbies (a black box) and the cubbie tags. I prefer to make my own (with the exception of the calendar and weather pieces), enjoy making my own, and was disappointed that anything in my classroom, including arrangement had to be " 'La Petite standard' ". What?
    The center was filthy. Enough said.
    The toys were older than dirt, shelves were faded and worn, and the playground eqiupment was over twenty years old. Really?
    There is no teamwork. I had my days written out for my class and they weren't followed, and when I did have a teacher cover my break, I came back to a rowdy, loud class, messy classroom and complete chaos.
    Lack of hours. My hours diminished to lack of enrollment, and many days I called in to see if I was working that day, or I was called by my director. I was called one morning and told I had to come in at a specific time. I got the message. Two hours later, I was texted by a director, asking me if I got the message about coming in. I didn't respond. Forty-five minutes before I was to come in, I got another call from the director, asking me if I was coming in, since nobody heard from me otherwise. Five minutes later, I got a text asking if I was coming into work that day. ????? And the only hours they had were closing hours. I was expected to come in and work for an hour, and leave. ?????
    The fact that corporate doesn't promote establishing relationships with families outside the center. I had a parent I became close to ask me if I could pick up her son from school, as he attended a school the center didn't pick up from. I was off the clock, and was told I would have to fill out a waiver of liability.
    Child guidance techniques were not applied; it seemed as though children could do whatever they wanted, while teachers sat there and texted/chatted/watched children play.
    Liscensing rules were followed in terms of ratios.

Get rid of everything. Allow teachers to make their own things, like lesson plans, cubby tags, room arrangement and schedule. Promote teachers establishing relationships with families outside the center. Be friendly and hire directors who promote teamwork, along with cleanliness.

There are newer employer reviews for La Petite Academy