Typical Short-Sighted Corporate Attitude

I have been working at LabCorp full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Industry outlook is good.

Cons

Focus seems heavily weighted towards short-term financial performance rather than investing in R&D or capital improvements that would pay off in the longer term. Staffing is also kept to the bare minimum often resulting in overtime and keeping employees from having time to come up with, work on and implement improvements to the systems that would increase efficiency - again, in the long term.

Advice to Management

Identify key employees and make sure they aren't spending time on more mundane tasks when they could be innovating and pushing the company forward.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You'll most likely leave or become a zombie

Current Employee - Medical Technologist
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work required is easy.

Cons

Critical thought is frowned upon. There are no operational procedures for important assays (a new employee is expected to learn from other, senior employees who can barely speak English). The non-English speaking employees don't listen when someone speaks, and thus, they waste time in problem-solving situations. The senior employees aren't even basically computer literate. Overall, the work environment is hostile, with a lot of condescension directed toward new employees, especially if they attempt process improvement. This is essentially a factory. Examples: 1. One employee didn't believe that I'd correctly classified a sample, and, thus, chose to dig through a hazardous waste container to find the discarded test tube. 2. In all seriousness, I was yelled at for not saying "Good morning" on a daily basis. If you are genuinely interested in science or ingenuity, you will be unsatisfied in this environment. I'm unsure as to why they bother to hire post-baccalaureate candidates when someone less educated would be more adaptive to this particular workplace. It's my opinion that an advanced high school student could perform the tasks given to those with an understanding of chemistry that required years of refinement. Additionally, I'm concerned that the inanity of these positions contribute to cognitive decline/depression, and general existential angst.

It went ok.

Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Tampa, FL

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many different shifts available including night shifts. Fast paced. Easy to way to expand knowledge.

Cons

High turn over. Very little coworker interaction.