Memoirs of a Labatt Programmer

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion, so here's mine. And please don't be alarmed or angered, but it's a positive review.

I've been with Labatt for almost six years now as a software developer. I've seen many changes and growth in this department over the years that have left me very optimistic about the future of this company. In this time we've matured greatly not just in our software development process, but also in our structure. I think we have a great mentor/mentee process for new hires. And in fact, I just recently had the pleasure of working with a new hire on developing a completely new system from the ground up, and I feel it was a very rewarding experience for both of us. Management greatly encourages employees to be creative, to push the boundaries, to seek out and make use of the latest and greatest technology. And obviously will put their money where their mouth is and pay for books, training, hardware/software, etc. And I've never had any issue whatsoever, from day one, with going into my manager's office and talking openly about anything that was on my mind. And you know what, I've always felt that they sincerely care about me and want to help me.

We're still learning, we're still growing, we're not the IT department we know we can be yet. But if you want to be in a place where you're not just producing cogs, where you can see a system through from start to finish that will have a direct impact on the bottom line, where people will listen to your ideas, where hard work and dedication are truly rewarded (and quite handsomely I might add), then give Labatt a try.

This has been my experience, and I'm happy to share it. If Labatt didn't work out for some people, I would just say "to each his own". But there are a lot of smart people here who are working hard to put Labatt on the IT map.

Cons

I think a lot of the negative reviews are coming from people who have had a negative experience in the analyst role. And I will agree that there has to be some more effort put into creating a little more structure and development for that position. In fairness though, we do have some seasoned analysts who seem quite happy.

Golly you guys are doing a swell job! <--- have at it comment section trolls! :)

Other Reviews for Labatt Food Service

Just over one year of employment with Labatt I am very satisfied and am looking forward to many more years.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like the diverse opportunities and challenges given to me right from the start as an analyst. Coming in you have an immediate opportunity to work on significant projects that impact the company's bottom line as well as interact with top management. I have worked at other places and the level of impact a new employee can make is very unique here.

In addition, team members not only work together in small groups, but share a lot of after activities.

Cons

You need to be a self starter from the very beginning. You will get guidance and help, but don't expect any hand holding. It is a diverse place and there is a lot to learn very early.

Perhaps, empathize more with the new hire employees straight out of college. For some this is their first place of employment. and this can be a difficult adjustment.

Labatt is the Complete Package

Current Employee - Software Development  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Career Opportunities: The opportunities for advancement are unlimited. In many departments there is no strict progressional ladder of advancement. Some may view this as a disadvantage, but it works very well for those who prefer to be rewarded fairly according to their talent and effort. While I tend to dislike the use of clichés, it is very true that birds of a feather flock together. That observation can be made about successful employees at Labatt. Those who are successful at Labatt tend to stick together, learn from each other, and continue to build upon their successes at the company.

2. Leadership: Senior Management are deeply invested in every aspect of the business, and they genuinely care about their employees (I have heard many stories and have had personal experiences where they have jumped in to help employees in non-work-related situations). They invest a great deal in resources to develop their employees and provide the type of environment they feel is necessary to help their people grow professionally. They are intimately involved in all projects in software development, which provides new employees with a great opportunity to learn from these leaders who have great experience and success under their belts.

A common misconception is that those who are in advanced/leadership positions have never worked at other companies, but this is untrue. In fact, most (if not all) of those in advanced positions came from other companies.

Every manager is different, which is true no matter where you go. My personal experience with management has been phenomenal and has directly contributed to my own professional growth. Most managers are in their positions because they were successful at the jobs/positions they now manage. When one becomes a manager, they don't simply become a manager and relinquish all other duties. Their responsibilities increase. So, yes, managers are busy. And if you need something from one of them, you cannot sit around waiting for them to find you. You need to take initiative, but that is what I love about the environment because you learn to conquer your fears and become assertive.

3. Culture: As most would probably agree, the culture at Labatt could be described in a single word as "conservative." However, this description is short-sighted and inaccurate as it does not consider the constant push by leaders of the company to improve every aspect of the business, whether it be order selection methods, the structure of a department, or the personal and professional growth of their people. Improvement requires change, not conservation, and Labatt is all about improvement.

Some of the core business strategies, which have directly contributed to Labatt's differentiation among competitors and its success, are "conservative" in the sense that there is no point in changing those core strategies when they have continued to deliver time and time again.

However, those who describe Labatt as "conservative" are rarely considering its business strategies. The "conservative" description is usually applied to convey the company rules, like the dress code and dating policies, which are not solely reflective of the culture. Yes, the recommended dress code is professional. That seems understandable especially if you want to BE professional. Yes, there are policies against fraternizing (i.e., inter-office dating). Again, I completely agree with that as I would personally be incapable of focusing on the job knowing that the person I am dating is just down the hall. Or if something were to go sour with the relationship, how would that work at the office?

4. Pay/benefits: I don't volunteer salary information in social settings, but many of my friends do. Without offering too much, let me just say that Labatt takes very good care of their employees. To give a specific example, in my first year at Labatt (I had just graduated college and I came from a low-income family), I found out that I needed to have multiple, expensive surgeries. I was completely independent at this time (i.e., living alone and solely responsible for all bills) and was able to single-handedly pay in full for these surgeries thanks to my pay and health benefits.

5. Coworkers: There is a good mix of veteran, well-experienced employees and new employees, often who have recently graduated college. The newcomers have a great opportunity to learn crucial lessons about best business practices and strategies from the veterans, and the veterans can learn innovative, fresh ideas from the newer employees. Your coworkers are the people you spend the most time with each day, so it is important that you enjoy each other's company, respect each other's work, and share common goals/interests (especially professional goals). Some of my coworkers are now my best friends.

SUMMARY: Labatt is not for everyone. This much is obvious, but no company is for everyone. I, luckily, have found it to have everything I want and plan to have a long career with the company. I urge any applicants to come and see for yourself whether Labatt is for you rather than depend solely on reviews from people you have never met, who may be very different from you.

Cons

1. If I had to choose something I dislike about my job, it would be the location of the office. The warehouse/office is located in an industrial part of town, as should be expected so there is not much that can or should be done about it.
    2. Labatt recruits candidates who have recently graduated college. While I agree with this strategy, it can be difficult to overcome some of the cultural misconceptions and ideals that these recent graduates believe should be present in order to build/sustain a successful company.

I will not pretend that I have anything of value to offer a management team who has grown the company's sales by over a factor of 10 in the last 30 years. You obviously know how to run a successful company.

There are newer employer reviews for Labatt Food Service.

Worked for Labatt Food Service? Contribute to the Community!