Lakeshore Technical College

www.gotoltc.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review

So so...

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We do some great things here to prepare a workforce. We partner with the community in many ways to provide prepared and competent workers in industry. When the economy suffers, we usually are positioned well to help dislocated workers get an education so they can get a new job.

Cons

From my perspective, I hear staff mention they are fearful of management. We probably have a bit more management than we really need. From my perspective, management focuses on controlling subordinates rather than providing them with the tools they need to succeed. For an academic institution that prides itself on preparing a workforce, those in charge don't integrate the teaching and philosophy of our instructors, teaching those classes. In other words, we prepare our students by teaching them management strategies and philosophies, but those same strategies and philosophies are not practiced by our own management.

Advice to Management

Focus less on controlling subordinates and worrying about how many hours per week workers are there and focus more on what results we desire. The staff is full of professionals who know what they need to do. Provide us with support and help produce a great product, which is classroom instruction. Staff members are fearful for their jobs, because of the perceived controlling nature of management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. LTC

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Great work / life balance

Cons

Pay is below market level

2. Incompetent Leadership

I have been working at Lakeshore Technical College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having the chance to help students get ahead. Amazing faculty and amazing support staff.

Cons

An incompetent President who hires direct reports who are less competent than he is so he doesn't look bad. Completely inefficient. President continually has to scramble due to bad hires, but won't fire anyone. High end managers continually screw up, and are just moved to other areas. Managers are in meetings constantly (where nothing is ever accomplished) and are never held accountable. Enrollments are down, yet the President and the HR Director and Finance Director got big raises, while everyone else got 1%. Once a proud place to work, it is now a joke and I am embarrassed to say I work there.

Advice to Management

This is more to the board than anything - get rid of the President, hire a competent replacement, and let him or her clean house and start over. Way too much talent in the faculty and the support staff to have it performing as it is. The students are too important to have this institution run as poorly as it because of an absolute buffoon for a President.