Great learning experience

Former Employee - Intern in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Lam Research

Pros

The managers were willing to give me lots of interesting work
Everyone was very knowledgeable and willing to explain things to me
Interesting internship program

Cons

It can get busy and hectic at times, especially at the end of the fiscal year (I was in the finance department). Everyone's patience starts wearing thin - but it's probably the same at any public company.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing, and learn from your mistakes. You'll definitely get better each year! Thanks for everything.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Working at Lam is extremely high pressure and you are compensated well for it.

Current Employee - Staff Process Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Process Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

Lam research is one of the top companies that manufacture tools for semiconductor fabrication. Lam's plasma etch business is highly regarded and you would have the chance to contribute in this area. You would also gain experience in managing yourself in a very challenging work environment with high demands placed on technical ability and work load.

Cons

The work environment at Lam is fast paced and very little deference is given to work-life balance. If you want to advance, be expected to devote a major portion of your energy to work.

Advice to Management

Lam is run too lean. My experience as a process engineer in the lab shows me that many people are loaded up with too much. I see people just checking off to-do lists and not thinking. Many mistakes are made that could be avoided. More is not always better, better is usually better.

2. One of the best managed companies in semiconductor equipment industry in United States

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Lam Research

Pros

- Top-notch technology in dry etch
    - Market share leader
    - Highly-qualified, motivated work force
    - Heavy R&D investment
    - Competitive salary and top benefits in semi-tool industry of the Bay Area
    - Practices business in an ethical way
    - Support to employee's day-to-day life is outstanding (Help Desk, HR, IT, Benefits, lab supplies, Logistics, laptop, iPhone/BB, etc.)

Cons

- Very often it is stressful to meet customer's demo requirements (Specs and timelines)
    - Need to invest more on metrology tools (SEM, CD-SEM, etc.) to cut down queue time for engineers
    - Compared to other semi-tool companies, although Lam had relatively less lay-off's but still had laid-off people during 08/09 downturn
    - Middle and 1st-line managers are mostly promoted from technical positions. They are lack of good interpersonal skills. Need to offer them effective training

Advice to Management

- Keep Lam's style as in Newberry's time
    - Keep lean on top/middle management
    - During the downturn consider lay-off as the last last measure to keep company's reputation and employees' morale and loyalty