Lamar Advertising
www.lamar.com Baton Rouge, LA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Squandering good talent and mismanaging resources

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Lamar Advertising

ProsThe job is very comfortable so long as you don't really care about what you're doing. You can keep your head down and not make any noise and exist pretty much as long as you want.

ConsIf you are passionate about building good software, this is not the place for you. While there are a handful of good developers, the majority of the MIS department would probably be perfectly happy flipping burgers if it paid the same as writing code. Very few people are motivated to do more than come in and sit at their desk during the day. One manager actually told a developer that "we're just here to collect a paycheck." If you are fresh out of school or trying to advance yourself as a developer, this place will leave you stagnant and disappointed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe MIS leadership needs to learn to trust its good developers. Hire managers who actually know how to develop software and who care about the quality of what they produce. Learn to look at the big picture, build a vision for where the company should go and what technologies to pursue, and be proactive in pushing the edge. You will never hire and retain good talent without serious changes in management.

Very Poor Environment

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Lamar Advertising

Pros: some people were helpful and worked hard Cons: Management is terrible. Not a good place to work.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Leadership by Intimidation

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros: Great Sales Team (acct reps). Respectful and helpful to eachother… Cons: Local management team is a disaster. The corporate culture must teach local managers to lead by intimidation otherwise certain individuals would no longer be working… Advice to Senior Management: Nothing said would make a difference - not sure why. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Lamar Advertising.

Worked for Lamar Advertising? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lamar Advertising reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lamar Advertising CEO Sean Reilly . All reviews posted anonymously by Lamar Advertising employees.