Lamar Advertising

Good oportunity for many, 40 hours a week and good benifets

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

managment is flexible and small business feel.

Cons

not many oportunities for advancment

39 Other Employee Reviews for Lamar Advertising (View Most Recent)

Bad reputation in market along with terrible turnover

Former Employee - Account Executive in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Lamar Advertising

Pros

Product strengths and cost per thousand reached.

Cons

Incompetent sales manager with negative attitude and bad reputation throughout business community. I actually had the sales manager accompany me on sales calls every so often. My experience with how he behaved out in the field was the deciding factor for me to leave the company for a better opportunity. After seeing him treat a potential advertiser with total disrepect and then being asked not to say anything to the general manager about what happened, I knew that I wouldn't be at Lamar until retirement as I originally had planned. Did my sales manager not realize that how he treats a potential advertiser would either create good or bad word of mouth throughout the business community? Well, business owners do talk to one another and I had to go out and deal with the negative word of mouth Lamar has been receiving.

Following in footsteps of 5 other AEs who left over the past 2 years. If I would have known I had to follow 5 other reps within such a short period of time, I wouldn't have taken the job as this added an obstacle to making sales.

Salary and expense reimbursement could have been more substantial. After 6 months, salary is reduced by 50%, then after a year it goes to commission only. This is NOT enough time to develop a territory in which Lamar doesn't have a good reputation at all.

Training should concentrate on internal procedures rather than a majority of training covering the sales process unless hiring inexperienced persons who have no prior sales experience. I felt the training was wasted time.

AEs should be out selling and spending less time on clerical. In past AE positions, I always had an assistant who would deal with that end of things so I could be out selling! I was hired for my winning personality so I could go out and win over business owners and bring in revenue, not to sit at a desk.

I think Lamar needs to clean house when it comes to sales managers at least. The sales manager I had needs a serious talking to. Improve community reputation by treating business owners with respect. This will also improve turn over also because the AE won't have to do damage control. The list goes on and on.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Lamar Advertising

Pros

They truly care about the employees

Cons

vacation policy is weak, needs to be more then 3 weeks after 10 years service

There are newer employer reviews for Lamar Advertising