Lamar Advertising

www.lamar.com

Good Company, Bad experience **Location has been changed, as I don't want my identity revealed in my small town**

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Texas City, TX
Former Employee - Account Executive in Texas City, TX

Pros

Part Salary/Part Comission, Great benefits, comission structure works well if you have encouraging management. Loved the company, wish I could have been trained under someone different, I think I would probably still be there if I had been.

Cons

Management drove me away, there was yelling and disrespect in my local office from the management.

Pay attention to which Lamar Plants are losing customers quickly, there might be a management problem at the local level.

Other reviews for Lamar Advertising

Extremely cheap company...

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Pretty good benefits for a sales position. Matched 401k, good healthcare, dental, and vision. Discounted stock plan.

A great way to learn how to sale. Depending on your market, it's pretty lax as long as you are making your monthly number.

Cons

The problem with this company is that all plants are "desegregated"
    By plants I mean markets. Each plant is run by a general manager and he gets paid based on "cash flow" Everything affects cash flow including commission rates, equipment, etc

Out of market commission rates are ridiculous. 1.2% on any out of market sales. So that's $1,200 on a $100,000 contract. Not fair in my opinion.

Stop worrying so much about your bonus. If you keep the sales force happy and well paid, the budgets will get made.

Can't see the forest through the trees

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Discounted stock plan, management gives you freedom to sell to whomever you want, every day is different.

Cons

Base salary is near poverty level, so if you have an off month (which will happen), good luck eating and paying your bills that month. Car and phone allowance is archaic. Budgets are rarely delivered on time and are only released a quarter at a time. Comp plans are atrocious (2% of sales at 100% of plan, even less in other markets) and are constantly changing with plenty of "ah ha!" ways to nip at your wallet.. The management in your office does not want you making more money than what they make. Company constantly cuts off nose to spite the face. IE: Economy got worse, they cut out the training for new employees. Layoffs trimmed work force so that reps have to deal with every aspect of their accounts which takes away from their ability to do what they were hired for...selling!!! Role is in outside sales and so much of your time is spent in the office dealing with a minutia of small projects. General Managers are paid on cash flow, and they are extremely cheap, as is the corporate office. Constant do as I say not as I do mindset; the corporate execs fly around on the company bird while their local offices can't get buy a TV to do presentations on or even take a long standing client to lunch. Operations crew has union mindset so can do whatever they want and there's nothing management can do about it. No room for growth if you're a sales rep.

Have some loyalty to your employees, they work hard. Stop pretending you're a local company when you're not. You're at the mercy of whatever they tell you down at corporate to do, and that's dictated by Wall Street, and the trickle down effect puts your local offices in a choke hold. Train your employees and stop giving books of business to unproven employees as an enticement to work for you since you can't pay them a decent salary..

There are newer employer reviews for Lamar Advertising.

Worked for Lamar Advertising? Contribute to the Community!