There are newer employer reviews for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey

Once you realize you're in a cult, it's all downhill from there

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who do all the real work. Lampo spends a lot of time interviewing people and does manage to hire some good people, but we're generally paid poorly and are expected to "volunteer" to work extra when things need to be done.

I used to think I was helping people, but now it seems more like I'm just helping Dave expand his ego.

Cons

Despite what the HR plants on Glassdoor are saying, it's not a good culture. The mandatory staff meetings do little more than give Dave another platform from which to rant and management a place to pat each other on the back. For someone's who's so into working hard, we have a lot of meetings that go absolutely nowhere.

I've watched Dave get crazier and crazier over the years. From the time he brought a sword and a bat to a staff meeting in which he was angry with The Tennessean to the time he brought a real, working handgun to staff meeting to teach us a lesson about gossip to his inability to humble himself and consider another point of view and railing against other Christians who are too "liberal." And seeing how much he's changed from a decent guy who seemed like he was out to help people to a money hungry control freak.

No one can disagree with Dave. Even some of the best leaders we've had in the company have left. Of course no one knows why because of the "rapture" that happens with many coworkers. People will leave for another job or be fired and you may not notice for weeks that they've gone. And when asked, it's like you're talking about the dead.

I guess I've just watched the place go from something good to something just weird and most of these reviews on here are being put up by HR trying to keep up the "Best Places to Work" facade.

If you're looking for "work that matters," then go work with the homeless or orphans or widows in the evenings or the weekends and get a job with a company that treats you well and respects you as a whole person, not just what you do for them.

I'd say to go get a job in the real world and learn what leadership really looks like, then you might see that many of you aren't cut out for leading a team to begin with. Just because you've been there the longest doesn't qualify you for leadership.

reviews filtered by

Great place to grow

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The first pro is impact.

We are on a mission to give hope to people and that context is at the front of everything we do. We are intentional about doing this with excellence, and every weekly staff meeting we hear about the lives that are being served and impacted, as well as the hard work the team is doing to carry forward a new product or channel to reach people.

Another is trust.

I love the people I work with. We work hard not to have hidden agendas or personal gain involved in the decision making. We are here for the mission, and that works so well when the team trusts each other and is unified about how the current discussion, decision, or project aligns with that.

Another is opportunity.

I have learned more about effective and healthy leadership at Lampo than at any other company that I have worked. One of the challenges that I have had to work through is how to look for opportunities for growth within the projects and priorities of the business. This has stretched me, and as I have walked into growing in that area, I have been encouraged, challenged, and coached on how to do that with excellence. And I have been given the ability to go after many of those opportunities! I am extremely grateful for their investment into my professional development as it aligns with the mission of the organization.

The last is blessing.

Dave is a giver, and that flows down through the leaders as well. I am blessed by the benefits they offer. We are blessed to hear amazing guest speakers every week, and often Dave buys us all the latest book that speaker has just launched. The environment is one of giving.

Cons

Growth is hard. It requires changing the way we used to do things. We are in the middle of great growth and that can take its toll on people, because it includes structural changes, communication flow changes, role changes, etc. We are moving out of the small business feel, and yet carrying a very entrepreneurial culture as we grow. We are learning about strategic planning.

There is constant attention toward maintaining our fun culture while changing the daily activities that come with growth.

Continue to cast vision, and to retell the stories of how this whole thing started so that newer team members can get further dunked in the culture.

Continue to look for areas where you are the lid for our growth.

Make hard decisions about what we are NOT going to do so that we can put more focus and people behind our top priorities and areas that are winning.

2. Healthy/Fun Environment with People Who Work Hard and Work for a Purpose

I have been working at Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Respect for the individual (healthy work/life balance)
    Healthy environment (promotes trust and openness)
    Has a mission and cause (more than just a "J-O-B")
    Intentional with company culture and team members
    Transparency with team members
    Personal responsibility
    Work hard and have fun (not "corporate" and cold)
    Many benefits such as weekly devo, Christmas party, events, lunches, seminars/continuing education, great PTO after your first year)

Cons

Parking
    Healthcare benefits
    Can't work from home (for those that prefer that flexibility)
    First year as an employee you don't have a lot of vacation days

There are newer employer reviews for Lampo Group, Dave Ramsey