Landmark Media Enterprises

www.landmarkcom.com

"A dying organization seeking relevance, not realizing that people and real journalism are the only ways out."

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsI was lucky and had excellent team leaders. My group, Interactive Media, worked semi-autonomously and generally had interesting problems to work on. As a designer, I had a fair amount of input in day to day decisions with regard to lots and lots of sites.

Cons- Organizationally, Landmark has a massive, outdated hierarchical arrangement. To get the best work out of their direct reports, managers essentially have to lie and misdirect senior management—who tend to be meddlers and producers of strange, arbitrary goals.

- The worst part is that the company is in perpetual financial straits, and as such layoffs are a constant possibility. Even so, senior management are routinely rewarded with lavish cash bonuses.

- The hours can be long (which is normal in any kind of production work), but the goals were consistently unclear; a binge of long hours to finish a project could frequently be rendered pointless once a member of the leader team changed his or her mind on a whim after reading a management best-seller.

- Stifling meeting and consensus building culture. Untold hours were spent in meetings combing over the most banal decisions in the most stilted language, and still no decisions could be made unless twelve people sat in a room together with the door closed—taking special care not to have anyone who would actually execute the plans within a 30-mile radius.

- I'm voting "no opinion" on Frank Batten, Jr. because he's really more like a team owner. He gently roots for his team and enjoys his box seats and the Town Car they send to bring him to the games; it's the staff and team that actually wins or loses games.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet middle managers free to do what needs to be done, or get rid of them altogether. There's no need for so many lieutenants. And (even though this is a long shot) enough with the hair-brained advertising schemes and interactive featurettes. If you hire excellent journos, and not just MBAs, people will come back to your paper.

Landmark Communications Is A Once Great Company Now Being Badgered By The Economy

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

I worked at Landmark Media Enterprises

Pros: It's a troubled company right now because of the overall downturn in the media business. Company is up for sale and morale is low in… Cons: Currently, as of this writing in March '09, the bad economy is the… Advice to Senior Management: Find a faster way to re-invent the newspaper business. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent company in a tough industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

I worked at Landmark Media Enterprises

Pros: Landmark was a good place to work because of the company's values of… Cons: Some of the company's businesses were being hurt by the shift of advertising and viewership/readership from traditional media to the Internet. The recession has also… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to follow Landmark's values. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Landmark Media Enterprises.

Worked for Landmark Media Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!