okay for a restaurant job

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Katy, TX
Former Employee - Hostess in Katy, TX

I worked at Landry's part-time for more than a year

Pros

good perks for working there i.e. discounts

Cons

under valued workers and underpaid

Other Reviews for Landry's

Bearable for a short term job, but would not recommend long term

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Landry's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

50% off of meals at any Landry's concept.. IF you pay the 18 dollars a month to pay for the privilege; popular name recognition of restaurants so generally pretty busy.

Cons

Management seemed ridden pretty hard by the upper level management which trickled down to the employees. They seemed to expect million dollar results for paying managers low salaries and making them micromanage everything in the restaurant that probably results in high burn outs. In my personal opinion, the company seem okay with maximizing profits at the expense of the lower ranked employees and food they serve. I did not get the sense that the company cared at all about the well-being of the employees or ways to incentivize selling Landry's select cards or merchandise.

There seems to be a low morale among the managers, wait staff and kitchen in this company. As someone who used to enjoy my job, Landry's just seems to give the impression that employees are expendable. I'm not certain that many employees like feeling this way and are all that motivated to sell merchandise, up-sell or give stellar customer service when your employer could care less if you're mentally and emotionally thriving. But again, I realize it's a large corporation and it just seems like it's the name of the game. If you are in the hospitality industry, I would recommend this company as a quick fix to pay your bills, but I wouldn't recommend advancing in this company long term. Be prepared to have pretty impossible workloads and stress in conjunction with a low salary.

worked with a private restaurant company as a general manger when Landry's purchased the group

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Landry's full-time

Pros

They offer lots of opportunity for transfer and upward mobility, and they have very specific systems in place for managing costs, reporting information. If you prefer to have very clear cut expectations of the job responsibilities this is the place to go.

Cons

There is little room for entrepreneurial managers at Landry's. They are a large publicly traded company that prescribes methods of dealing with situations, is big on corporate control, and has little tolerance for interpretation of their guidelines. The focus is on profits and share value, so if you have a desire to work with excellent ingredients, or participate in a business that values excellence in service, this is not the company to work for. There are food and service standards, but they are just good enough to keep them in business, and limit customer complaints.

There are newer employer reviews for Landry's.

Worked for Landry's? Contribute to the Community!