There are newer employer reviews for Landry's

Great Service company

Current Employee - Waiter in Katy, TX
Current Employee - Waiter in Katy, TX

I have been working at Landry's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at one of the Restaurants, Babin's, has given me the opportunity to improve upon my overall serving skills and allowed me to develop communication and sales skills. I feel that what I have learned at my establishment shall assist me in my degree of Supply Chain Management.

Cons

Sometimes the management culture isn't reflective of the vision of the General Manager. Sometimes it's difficult to implement lean six sigma recommendations at the actual restaurant.

Be able to get everyone on the same page and through more team based Management activities in order to promote harmony among the team.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Landry's (View Most Recent)

Landry's owns well-run corporate restaurants, but has room to improve.

Current Employee - Server, Trainer in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Server, Trainer in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Landry's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Landry's is a large enough company to allocate financial and human resources where needed and where deserved. The GROWTH program for managers ensures a standard of professionalism and accountability. Individual stores maintain systems-based daily operations and statistics-driven employee value assessment, taking the human subjectivity out of decision making. Landry's has efficient labor management and schedule flexibility. Performance expectations for servers and managers are higher than in other restaurant groups.

Cons

Being such a large company, Landry's can be alienating to entry-level workers. Turn-over in non-managerial positions is high, and hiring needs sometimes outweigh the need for experienced and qualified candidates. As with most successful companies, the bottom line trumps most other concerns. Changes are implemented slowly.

Clueless on hospitality

I worked at Landry's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers and lower level management definitely understood we would get cursed out and fired on the spot if we asked any questions, so we looked out for each other.

You receive a discount for food but if you're working you have to eat it on property (even if you are swamped all night), otherwise it will be deemed as stealing.

Cons

The CEO is completely clueless of how to run a hotel. This is not a CEO that values anything or anyone, except himself. Ownership expects every employee do assume responsibilities for every and all aspects of the business.

For example, if you are a drink server at the pool, you serve drinks to your guests at the pool area. However, you may be asked by ownership or other department managers why there is a line at the front desk (reception) or why the air conditioning is not working in the casino. Why would this be a server's responsibility? I suppose it's saves the CEO money to have the employees so freaked out they want to police everyone else.

Everyone has a job at this company and that job is to inform on co-workers. Plan to be ridiculed and questioned daily as if you are a thief while working for this owner.

For example, If you are seen drinking a (canned) soda in the back, you may be asked to furnish a receipt of where it was purchased. If you bring in a sandwich from home, you may be asked where you got it from.

I've seen co-workers fired after working a 10-hour shift, paid cash for food to-go from the kitchen and took it home. They were fired, with management claiming it's "stealing" because they used their employee discount but didn't eat the food AT work.

The boilers are constantly out because the GMs are forbidden from spending any money on the facilities.

If you work at the hotel, the in-room dining carts are so dated (1970's) many of the wheels or parts of the tray don't roll properly. You just have to push through it like the football players hitting the sled in practice. Again, ownership is too cheap to invest any money on the facilities.

Working at this company, you will not have a specific "area" for which you are responsible. For example, if you are a bartender at the pool bar you may be written up for not noticing trash at the back parking lot on your way out to your personal car to go home.

When the CEO is in town everyone is on edge because he may just walk up and curse you out if he feels you're talking to a co-worker and he doesn't like it-- or he may even fire you if he sees a fingerprint smudge on the stainless steel or God help you if there is a trash can that EVS (environmental services) didn't collect yet. Trash is very important, here.

You will have a responsibility for all public areas, all customers, facility waste management, facility engineering management and any other possible needs of the company regardless of your department, position, area, or normal duties.

Treat your employees like human beings. Tearing everyone down and beating the morale out of every person that works for you is not good business.

There are newer employer reviews for Landry's