Language Systems International

www.languagesystems.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Language Systems International

great co-workers, but management was not great

Former Employee - English Instructor in Placentia, CA
Former Employee - English Instructor in Placentia, CA

I worked at Language Systems International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to help international students learn to speak English and work with many different types of students.

Cons

Not many chances for advancement or professional development. Management was not always very helpful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great support & coworkers, could use more incentive long term

I have been working at Language Systems International full-time

Pros

I've taught at a number of ESL schools in the area, and the support at LSI is drastically better than most, with syllabi and test banks available to make the job easier (there's not a lot of outside prep necessary). Management has also been supportive when I've had to adjust my schedule due to extenuating circumstances. There are also great people working here, making it a pleasant work environment. The accreditation process added some additional paperwork and policies that can be troublesome, but it also added stability, so I don't have the same problem as others with the stricter rules we now have to enforce. And the paid week off every 3 months is great.

Cons

Yearly positive evaluations don't necessarily lead to a raise, despite what you'd expect. And there are no sick days (although the recent California law should change this).

Advice to Management

Raises should accompany regular positive evaluations in order to give employees incentive and boost morale

2. Stable Work Environment

I have been working at Language Systems International full-time

Pros

There is stability in this company. A lot of other similar schools are closing or downsizing because of accreditation requirements. All four locations are accredited by ACCET and offering classes morning, afternoon, and evening. Another huge benefit is the four weeks of paid vacation. I did not find that in any other similar company. There is also a very pleasant work environment and my co-workers are people who really care about the students and education in general.

Cons

As is the case in similar companies (language schools), the pay cannot compete with what is paid in public schools, adult education, community colleges, or universities.

Advice to Management

Know your worth. LSI is accredited, and has solid programs and teachers. Charge higher tuition so that you can pay your teachers a higher salary.