Horrible job injury from the Internet phone they provided, company irresponsible, still suffering with pain, cannot work

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator
Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home. Some calls are interesting and challenging.

Cons

Low pay, no respect, very irresponsible company. The company installed a new Internet phone system as a pilot program in 2006, tested on real people, and people complained about ear pain, and they did not let us stop using the system until I sustained severe ear nerve damage. Workers' Comp was a joke, not enough compensation ($50/month). My medical bills are over $500/month (total over $70,000 in 6 years), and no sympathy from the management, they did not take the responsibility. LLS eventually fired me, and I am still suffering from pain, and unable to work. I want my life back!

You need to treat the interpreter nicer, and give them what they deserve. You need to take responsibility when your new phone system causes damage to a person. You have no idea how much pain I went through from the injury caused by the RDI system. You know the system caused my injury because you stop using the system right after my injury. It changed my life, and my family and I are still suffering from it. I cannot believe that I wasted 10 years of my life for a company like this. Your company takes advantage of many innocent people.

Other Reviews for LanguageLine Solutions

There is no opportunity for growth whatsoever.

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Work from home, other than that, nothing

Cons

no benefits
    no sick time
    no vacation time

management must value their human capital

Constant calls, very critical, expect certified interpreter work for terrible wages, very limited training

Former Employee - Interpreter for Spanish
    Former Employee - Interpreter for Spanish

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Can work from home, can set your schedule in the beginning, gives opportunity to learn about different industries.

Cons

First, the training in the actual work you will do is only about a total of 4 hours. You have to learn ON YOUR OWN TIME, all the spanish proper words for Mortgage Companies, Car Insurance companies, Utility companies, medical terminolity, health insurance companies, Cash Advance Stores, credit card companies. If your not certified I think you probably don't know every single word in spanish for all these companies. However, the times you get called to get feed back, they criticize everyting you said wrong. Even if the other person understood everything you said and both parties were satisfied, if you did not use the correct word you will be marked for that.

The pay is minimum wage and then supposedly .25 cents after the half hour you worked but if you notice, they give you all your breaks at the END of the hour so for that hour you can only earn .25 cents for 15 minutes. If your shift ends like at the half hour of the hour like 3:30 or 4:30 you will only make half of the minimum wage in your state, her its about $3.30, even if you talked the entire hour.

If you work 7 hours and above you get 30 min lunch you don't get paid for and 2 (15) minute breaks, but if you work 6, you have only a 30 min break in the middle of your shift. This means you sit without being able to get up for one second almost 3 hours, and if the call does not end by your break time, there is a possibility you may end up sitiing for almost 4 hours. There is about a 2 second delay before you get a call, you don't even have time to take a gulp of water.

The stressful part is you don't know who is going to call and they use pretty fancy words that you may not know, if your caught saying the closest thing to the word then they say you are not meeting the interperteing expectation and you are sent to study on you own time all the words. If the training was more in depth, maybe this had been more helpful. It takes 2 years for you to be able to move from interpreter to any other position and there are no benefits. You can take a special but if you take too many your in trouble. It sounds too good to be true and for someone who may be certified and very knowledgable in ALL TERMINOLY in spanish this may be a good place to work, however if you know this much you may want to work in a place that pays way better.

Give new employees more training in terminology, maybe categorized group of interpreters with a specific industry to make it easier. Offer some vacation, you make a ton of money off your calls and pay your interpreters a misery. And you have lots of call centers overseas which I 'm sure you pay extremely low. If you give feed back to interpreters be a bit more leanient, they are not certified and if the customer and the client understand the call that should be good enough. Spanish has different dialects not everyone understands the same word for everything.

There are newer employer reviews for LanguageLine Solutions.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!