LanguageLine Solutions

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Work At Home Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Work At Home Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

The only benefit is that you work from home

Cons

When you take time off due to a family emergency or a sick child, you get reprimanded, even when you have a doctor's note. The sad part is that if you receive 3 warnings for absences (even if they are 100% justified) they let you go. There is NO flexibility whatsoever to balance work life and family life. They expect you to be there, PERIOD. No benetits, no health insurance and I was getting paid the minimum amount for high-quality work. I was there for a year until I got a job elsewhere. My recommendation to others who are looking to work as an interpreter there... DON'T it's a mistake.

Get your act together. It's unfair that the itnerpreters make close to minimum wage here in the US and you don't even offer benefits or vacation. Be more flexible, there are those of us who are moms and have obligations, children get sick, there are emergencies, etc., Be involved with those of us who are really working hard and are the heart of the company.

134 Other Employee Reviews for LanguageLine Solutions (View Most Recent)

Language Line

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary for Costa Rican standards
    Paid Vacation, 2 weeks per work year
    Monthly bonuses for attendance, performance, internet subsidy if you work from home and seniority
    It is a constant learning experience, and that is how it should be taken

Cons

No Holidays, this is very hard to keep a good family-work balance because we do not get any holidays, not American, nor Costa Rican, so specially if you have children it can be challenging. Spending Christmas morning at work while everyone is opening presents can really get you down,

This job may be good only to start your interpreter's career, not to make a career

Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterrey, Baja California (Mexico)
    Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in Monterrey, Baja California (Mexico)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Working from home
    May be a good job for a beginner interpreter/ CSR

Cons

Horrible management. No way to get a day-off or vacation, let alone getting a sick day-off...
    Miserable wages. Although this job requires excellent language skills, versatile mind and high level of education - otherwise you just are not hired - the job can be very stressful... they pay you just entry level wage no matter how long you have worked for the company and what level of interpretation and service you are providing...
    The employee morale is terrible, and the employee turnover is huge. As you are becoming more skilled and experienced over time, they tend to increase your job volume without pay increase. Pay rates never increased ever since 2005. You feel more like discouraged from this work. This management approach is entirely wrong.
    Although, it may be a good place for a beginners, this company is the worst place in terms of career prospects. With the skills and experience developed through this job you should be able to get a much better job in customer service or interpretation business, with much higher pay and conditions...

The amount of criticism towards this company clearly indicates that the management has huge issues related to employee morale.
    I would highly advise that the management revise their policies with regard to interpreters and try and understand that interpreters assume huge responsibility doing this job... Especially where it comes to medical and legal/court interpretation. If the management fails to learn how to motivate employees and adjust their attitudes and policies accordingly, I would advise the management to stay away from this business. Otherwise, they eventually may be sued and held responsible for exposing the company clients to high risks through neglecting the interpreters needs.

There are newer employer reviews for LanguageLine Solutions