LanguageLine Solutions
www.languageline.com Monterey, CA 5000+ Employees

Language Line Is Not Worth To Work For

All Call Interpreter (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a company that allows interpreters and others to work in their own home setting. This is the only "sweet" point that attracts people who want to work for additional income but can't afford to leave their home ( mothers with kids, nearly retired people, college students .....). This is a place people can learn the interpretation skills on phone.

ConsAbove are the only two reasons people should stick with LLS. Other than that people should work for this company for a short while to get experience and they should move on for the better.
1. There are no hope for professional growth with LLS. The company only hires people in USA when it has no choice. It hires most people from Latin America for cheaper cost.
2. I was "tricked' into "converting to All Call Interpreters with all the trainings(on my own time) . And was able to get more calls routing to me. But the way LLS lists the time and pay per minute on my pay stuffs is so vague and confused that I was never can figure out whether I get paid correctly or not. No one of the company can give me a straight answer.
3. The pay rate per minute for Customer Service Interpreters is $.3 and $.33 for the All call Interpreters. But they charge clients for $3.95 a minute. Regardless, I still do not know for sure how much I get paid per minute, $.3 or $.33 . Anyhow not a big difference. I'm screwed.
4. When it comes to asking to change your work schedule, they make it so difficult, even if you let them know months in advance . In my case, I gave them 3 month notice of my new work schedule. Still I got denied. Some tricks you can do is just quit and re-apply to get a new work schedule.
5. If you want to take vacation: tough luck. You are on your own to look for a swap from your co-workers . LLS never promotes and practices work/life balancing.
6. Management communication is vague and shallow and rare. For the number of years working for
LLS , I got only 2 meetings with my manager. And those were on un-paid time.
7. With low pay, yet LLS expects a lot from interpreters. If you encounter LLS phone system problems , you are expected to file VOI tickets (Voice Of Interpreters) on your own un-paid time.
8. In theory, the pay rate is $18/hr ($.3x60minutes) but you never get that . But calls do not come in without some waiting in between . So the average pay is around 12/13 bucks an hour.
9. Your vocal cord could be damaged if you keep talking in 2 hours continuously though.

There are more cons but I can stop here. You get my point.

Advice to Senior ManagementLLS should pay interpreters higher rate and give pay raises to interpreters on a yearly basis. More communication from management and pay people the time they attend meetings and trainings. LLS should stop this low pay tactics in order to spare money to buy others smaller companies.

LLS is a sweatshop

Customer Service Interpreter (Former Employee)
    Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros: 1- Satisfaction of knowing you've helped someone who otherwise would be… Cons: I worked for Language Line on and off since 2005 in their call center in Dominican Republic. I remember having to study hard to pass… Advice to Senior Management: Stop sacrificing good interpreters for mediocre ones just because it's more profitable. When such delicate matters as a person's… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good job, bad health benefits

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros: Stable job, no checks bounced, a lot of work Cons: bad health benefits, schedule changes hard to get Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on LanguageLine Solutions.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LanguageLine Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LanguageLine Solutions CEO Scott W. Klein. All reviews posted anonymously by LanguageLine Solutions employees.