Language Line Is Not Worth To Work For

Current Employee - All Call Interpreter
Current Employee - All Call Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

This is a company that allows interpreters and others to work in their own home setting. This is the only "sweet" point that attracts people who want to work for additional income but can't afford to leave their home ( mothers with kids, nearly retired people, college students .....). This is a place people can learn the interpretation skills on phone.

Cons

Above are the only two reasons people should stick with LLS. Other than that people should work for this company for a short while to get experience and they should move on for the better.
1. There are no hope for professional growth with LLS. The company only hires people in USA when it has no choice. It hires most people from Latin America for cheaper cost.
2. I was "tricked' into "converting to All Call Interpreters with all the trainings(on my own time) . And was able to get more calls routing to me. But the way LLS lists the time and pay per minute on my pay stuffs is so vague and confused that I was never can figure out whether I get paid correctly or not. No one of the company can give me a straight answer.
3. The pay rate per minute for Customer Service Interpreters is $.3 and $.33 for the All call Interpreters. But they charge clients for $3.95 a minute. Regardless, I still do not know for sure how much I get paid per minute, $.3 or $.33 . Anyhow not a big difference. I'm screwed.
4. When it comes to asking to change your work schedule, they make it so difficult, even if you let them know months in advance . In my case, I gave them 3 month notice of my new work schedule. Still I got denied. Some tricks you can do is just quit and re-apply to get a new work schedule.
5. If you want to take vacation: tough luck. You are on your own to look for a swap from your co-workers . LLS never promotes and practices work/life balancing.
6. Management communication is vague and shallow and rare. For the number of years working for
LLS , I got only 2 meetings with my manager. And those were on un-paid time.
7. With low pay, yet LLS expects a lot from interpreters. If you encounter LLS phone system problems , you are expected to file VOI tickets (Voice Of Interpreters) on your own un-paid time.
8. In theory, the pay rate is $18/hr ($.3x60minutes) but you never get that . But calls do not come in without some waiting in between . So the average pay is around 12/13 bucks an hour.
9. Your vocal cord could be damaged if you keep talking in 2 hours continuously though.

There are more cons but I can stop here. You get my point.

LLS should pay interpreters higher rate and give pay raises to interpreters on a yearly basis. More communication from management and pay people the time they attend meetings and trainings. LLS should stop this low pay tactics in order to spare money to buy others smaller companies.

Other Reviews for LanguageLine Solutions

LLS is a sweatshop

Former Employee - Customer Service Interpreter  in  Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Interpreter in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

1- Satisfaction of knowing you've helped someone who otherwise would be stuck due to language barrier
    2- At leas you have a job

Cons

I worked for Language Line on and off since 2005 in their call center in Dominican Republic. I remember having to study hard to pass the Interpreter Skill Assessment test. That was then. Now just about anyone who can say "Hello, my name is" can be an interpreter. In 2006 I was trained to be a Customer Service Interpreter Plus, meaning that in addition to regular calls I would be handling calls from nurses, doctors and taking recorded statements for insurance companies with lawyers on the line. A year later, LLS decided that paying an extra $0.20 cents for a CSI+ was too expensive and eradicated that title and made all regular CSI (even with NO extra training) take those calls for the same miserable pay: $3.40 USD per hour. They charge their customers $3.95/min for the service, so I earned less in ONE hour than the profit I brought in for the company in ONE minute. I also worked as a recruiter that same year and and their philosophy was pretty much quantity before quality. The call center has such a high volume of calls that many calls are bumped off the line by a new incoming call. You ended a call and there was no breather, the next one came in a second after your last call (which had lasted 40 mins) ended. Starting in 2007, All Call Interpreters were forced to take Court-Certified calls (thus lie under oath and say they were certified) when they were not. Those interpreters who felt this was dishonest and abusive (since no pay raise came along with the harder, increased number of calls) were told to suck it up or walk. We had very little support from our supervisors (called "Incharges"). In fact, the general feeling was that Incharges were on a witch hunt, trying to get everyone fired for something as small as taking off your shoes in your cubicle. The incharges grew increasingly jealous of the All Calls because an AC Interpreter earns more than the incharges do (AC interpreter are paid $4.10 USD per hour) and would not allow an interpreter to sign himself on for available overtime because "he'd be earning too much money" (their words exactly). The new All Calls are not even given proper training to take medical calls, They are basically given the material to study on their own and tell them to start taking AC calls BEFORE passing the test. Many AC candidates interpret these calls on a daily basis for months before being told they are not qualified to take them and need to do more studying! There are patients listening to some unqualified interpreter's rendition of a conversation that could mean life or death!!!!!! In 2008 LLS bought out Omni Interpreters and brought along its GM as the center's new GM. This person fired anyone he didn't like, laid off more people in six months than the total in all previous years. This person had a Music degree and was managing an entire call center of interpreters when he himself knew NOTHING of it. He was later on fired due to incompetence but the damage was done. Language Line is a company that exploits its production team, has no regard for its employees and views us only as an employee number. They are greedy and ask for too much when giving back so little.

Stop sacrificing good interpreters for mediocre ones just because it's more profitable. When such delicate matters as a person's LIFE is at stake, quality should be the number one priority. I hope you get sued for all you're worth.

Good job, bad health benefits

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions

Pros

Stable job, no checks bounced, a lot of work

Cons

bad health benefits, schedule changes hard to get

There are newer employer reviews for LanguageLine Solutions.

Worked for LanguageLine Solutions? Contribute to the Community!