Former Lizzie

Former Employee - Associate Account Executive in New York, NY
Former Employee - Associate Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at LasikPlus

Pros

Great work ethic taught. They breed the best in the business and everyone knows it.

Cons

Not known for paying their employees for how hard they are expected to work

Advice to Management

Increase pay scale

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. New regime not medically inclined

I worked at LasikPlus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great, team-oriented atmosphere which was necessary in a small office setting. All employees new their roles and executed them well. The corporate leadership was focused on patient care.

Cons

New regime is not focused on medicine, which is a shame since they perform LASIK surgery. They brought in incompetent people that focused on sales not medicine, cut hours, and required less by way of quality medicine.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of quality medicine. If you do the job correctly people will come. Sales is not the only focus.

2. Very Silo'd and Fickle company.

Current Employee - Center Level Management
    Current Employee - Center Level Management

I have been working at LasikPlus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Training staff! Love the trainer our clinic and I are given. Generous with trust with company finances, give you a corporate credit card so you are able to take care of immediate expenses with the center. Allow staff to order supplies as needed. Decision Making ability is fairly autonomous and in our area our Regional Director was not a Mirco-manager. Very highly skilled surgeons and very responsible clinically with patients. A great place to have refractive procedures performed. Very high expectations of quality and they make sure they choose staff and people who have the right personality for the sales component.

Cons

Very hard to trust upper management, at Regional Level. Lots of changes last minute at corporate, and a lot of home bred employees (started as techs and moved their way up to Regional, Corporate, and VP positions. ie- one of the HR heads was an ophthalmic tech and moved into that position with no degree) with little actual education in management, leadership, or healthcare. Questionable business ethics for the region we worked in. Too focused on metrics and over emphasize urgency on non-emergent issues which takes away from the Center staff, doctors, and managements time on necessary tasks. A "Chicken Little" approach. Regional management in our area had "favorites" and everyone knows it. Regional management uses one of the center managers as their go getter, and that manager does most of the Regional Director's work- and the Regional Director takes credit for it. Was very un-motivating and frustrating. It's hard to have a Regional Director with less education and leadership background than you, and you can tell in the way she deals with things. Regional Director rarely had more than a tech background and moved their way up. Very few people have a bachelor's degree in any management position. You can tell the Regional manager is threatened when her decisions are asked about for further explanation. She becomes defensive and tries to criticize her managers in group phone calls about issues or things regarding their performance when these are confidential HR issues. I hate hearing my co-workers being told they aren't cutting it in front of the group. This Regional Director needs a lot of training in ethics and professionalism. There are only 3 Regional managers, so there is a good chance anyone applying will have to work with her.

Advice to Management

Hire outside of Corporate ladder and pool more. Provide training on tech and OR techniques to all positions in the clinic to understand better processes, do not "typecast" employees into specific roles too much, more cross training including with OD's and management. Provide better salaries to OD contractors/employees and better bonus opportunity. Benefits need to be improved and better health coverage and bonus structure. The Trainer is GREAT! But you need more than one person to do it, and there needs to be ongoing training refreshers to make sure the little things aren't forgotten and slide. Hire more Training staff to do what Elaine and Marcel do, they are amazing! Human Resources needs more support simply because they are overwhelmed, but do a good job. Shani at corporate is wonderful! Re-evaluate who you have as your Regional Directors and how your territories are split, I think there are a lot of wolves in sheep's clothing who like to pass blame on to others and who also like to take credit for other peoples work. Our RD needs some significant intervention on how to manage managers.