There are newer employer reviews for Latham & Watkins

If you fit the "culture," you'll be fine

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Latham & Watkins

Pros

As always, it's the people. There are some really great partners and senior attorneys that are impressive attorneys and good managers. There was a lot of camaraderie in my own cohort as well. Part of that was the "bunker mentality" that set in as layoffs became more of a sure thing, but almost everyone in my year got along with each other and were cool to work and hang out with.

Cons

In good times the company was all about transparency, but once things got lean management became a black box from which happy-sounding noises would occasionally emerge. The formal "book" system for getting work probably also works fairly well when there is more than enough work to go around, but when work is slim if you rely on the book to get assignments you're sunk. Even during flush times, it was clear that the book was not the place to get the choice assignments, which would be meted out directly by partners and/or senior associates, despite this being supposedly a no-no under the book system.

Also, there was very little opportunity to get practical, useful experience early on - depositions, motion practice, court appearances, etc. This lack of practical experience, plus the golden handcuffs of a salary entirely out of proportion to any actual knowledge, experience or usefulness the associate might have, makes for a difficult fit for smaller-firm job prospects post-Latham (the most likely and plentiful type of job prospects available to the vast majority of mid-level associates).

Reform or abandon the book system. Be more honest with junior associates about hours expectations.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work if you are not a secretary.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Latham & Watkins

Pros

Outstanding benefits and perks. Free Pop. Free donuts/fruit every Friday. Charitable jeans day every Friday. Staff appreciation days (seasonal treats). Chair Massages.

Cons

After the big lay-off, every employee was made whole (bonuses raised, raises reinstated) EXCEPT FOR SECRETARIES. Despite the perks, we would happily trade all of it for our previous pay (including raises and bonuses).

2. No work life balance at all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Latham & Watkins

Pros

Nice group of people working there.

Cons

No work life balance at all.

There are newer employer reviews for Latham & Watkins