Laureate Education

www.laureate.net
There are newer employer reviews for Laureate Education

Decent Place to Work

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are competitive. Some of the best people in Baltimore work at Laureate.

Cons

Politics have become overwhelming. Budgets have been cut and when people leave, the company appears to hope nobody notices. Many managers are not genuine. They treat their employees poorly, but report to other senior management that their staff is happy and productive.

Almost all social activities have been curtailed in recent years. Employees aren't relating to each other and that affects the enthusiasm for the job. Although the company says they are collaborative, in reality, senior management is very autocratic and demands that orders be followed.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Laureate Education (View Most Recent)

Good if you are in the top 1%, profit focused and not education focused

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Salary is higher than average in Baltimore.
    - Can be promoted if you like to agree with your boss, tolerate working for large egos.

Cons

- Benefits are average and activated only after 1 month of work. (1 month without benefits is expensive if you have a family)
    - Commute in and out of Baltimore is really heavy. Count 20-30 minutes just to get in an out on good days.
    - Directors (everyone is a director here) from business don't know what they want so each project requires at least 3-4 directors, 1-2 PM, 1-2 people from BI, 1-2 Business analyst, ... so many people that all projects progress very slowly and are always over budget.
    - Although we are an education company the training budget is very low.
    - Biggest problem is that the admission criteria are very low. Every body with money is accepted at Walden.
    - The most alienating thing is that the higher people that screw up ( I.T. and Operations and B.I with their fake report) are not fired. No they keep their job and the company hires people above with more experience to fix the problems ( or just to fire people like recently)

Hire a consulting firm like McKinsey to assess the situation and save the boat while it still floats

Nice place to work, challenging

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, lots of learning, lots of work, I like it. If you work at Laureate you need to like to work. You need to be in constant learning.

Cons

Its a lot of work. But I don't see it 100% as a con

Try to balance work/personal life...

There are newer employer reviews for Laureate Education