Class Beta Tester & Quality Assurance

Current Contractor - Beta Tester & Quality Assurance in Baltimore, MD
Current Contractor - Beta Tester & Quality Assurance in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laureate Education as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was prompt and courteous. Great pay

Cons

There needs to be more focus on beta testers and their contacts with the course developers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. steer clear of Laureate Education Inc.

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

decent benefits: access to good healthcare, company tends to match 401K, legal benefit, health spending account

Cons

low pay, not much room for professional growth (unless you like to play the office politics game), bad commute/location (Columbia office), too top heavy in terms of management

Advice to Management

pay people what they are worth, revamp your benefits offerings, start offering a more liberal work from home policy, create better training opportunities

Product Development Group provides challenging work but a grueling and arbitrary work environment

Former Employee - Course Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Course Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Laureate Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laureate develops courses and programs for a variety of partner universities all over the world, including Walden University. They have a social justice mission statement that fuels the flavor and types of programs you will work on in subjects like teacher education, business, nursing, psychology, and computer science. The content can be very engaging and what you will help to produce is rewarding because it helps the individuals that take these courses go out into their community and make life better for everyone. Most of the people I worked with stayed there for years DESPITE being miserable and overworked because we just loved how rewarding the end product was to create.

Cons

The senior leadership never really changes. They just rotate a few key people around from position to position and they flow back and forth between a silo model where domains are run like fiefdoms and thus become cult-of-personalities with varying work environments and product quality to a more centralized 'build it fast and cheap' model with one manager wielding authority over the whole group.

I spent most of my time working under the fiefdom model and since the leaders of my domain where very quality conscious I worked hard but was very proud of what I was a part of. I eventually left when they were transitioning to the centralized model, along with many others, because the standards that were being developed by which to judge the quality of the product and the team members themselves were completely divorced from reality. Writing a great course is not an entirely objective process - it involves creativity - and as such there needs to be an environment that supports that. But the new standards were entirely PROCESS focused and squeezed out the humanity required to write truly inspired curriculum.

It breaks my heart to hear from my colleagues that stayed because now they are frustrated by the ridged and arbitrary bureaucracy and don't feel they are allowed to make high quality courses anymore. Quality has given way to cost-effective expediency.

Advice to Management

Recognize that Laureate doesn't make widgets. The course development process cannot be utterly standardized or uniform because curriculum is both art and science. The people hired are deeply committed educators who care about quality. Honor and respect their passion and experience and let them do their work in a flexible and organic way. Quality standards and controls are necessary but this should flow from well-trained frontline managers such as senior course developers and program designers. This model has made Laureate successful in the past. Go back to nourishing the integrity of the people who create, rather than stifle them with some 'father knows best,' one-size-fits-all set of standards.