Seemed like a great international company, but no such benefits

I have been working at Laureate Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable job if you work as a part of the team that's necessary for overall function of the company (such as SST or Academic Advising). As part of these teams, you also get to go to the residencies, so once a year at least you do get to go to another location and actually interact with students and other employees from different locations.

Cons

No career advancement. If you work hard, you might advance only if you know the right people and those people actually want to advance you. Otherwise, you will never advance, unless you try to make an opportunity for yourself or pretty much what happens is, people find jobs elsewhere. The company stopped giving out yearly bonuses and yearly raises have become so minimal that management says that we should be happy we got a raise at all because the budget has been tight. However, we hear of Laureate acquiring all these other universities around the world, but it seems like they have no time to show appreciation to their hard working employees. Being salary employee, you would think you get the benefits of leaving early or taking an extend lunch, but instead we are actually being watched all the time and feel like we are chained to our desks. If we want to try to work out getting off early, we need to make up those hours on another day. So much for being a salary employee.

Value your employees more rather than overworking them for no compensation to match that hard work. You are letting the great talent leave your company because you are looking at the overall picture rather than little people that make that overall picture happen.

Other Reviews for Laureate Education

Be careful

I worked at Laureate Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

My first stint in PE and Education, so I'm glad I did it. I met some very good people and learned a great deal about a new industry.

Cons

A bit ethically challenged at the very top. If you decide to sign on, make sure you have a good employment lawyer review your contract, including the non-compete. Get your cash up front.

Poorly Managed Poorly Staffed

Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Laureate Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Location was nice and for a job right out of college the salary and package was alluring.

Cons

Upper management cares more about numbers than staff well-being. In the three years I was there the Student Support team morphed from one-on-one client customer care to full blown call center. There is a complete communication break down between LA team and "Escalation" teams at HQ. The quality of people that were coming in would have been more appropriate for a collections call center, versus an academic institution.

Enrollment should be focused on students that actually have the means to complete a program (technical savvy, funding). Build an actual training program for new employees. Hire support team that actually cares about student's well being and create a foundation for service not collections.

There are newer employer reviews for Laureate Education.

Worked for Laureate Education? Contribute to the Community!