Lawrence Berkeley Lab

www.lbl.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Lawrence Berkeley Lab

All in for the support of great people and great minds.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Pros

Benefits are great! This organization makes sure it's employees continue to develop their skills. World class science takes place here. Very diverse workforce, including people from all walks of life which makes this place rich with experience. Activities for employee moral building are great!

Cons

Parking, not enough of it. Parking system is segregated by rank in job code and salary. Cafeteria food.

Open more interdepartmental communication for training and policy compliance.

182 Other Employee Reviews for Lawrence Berkeley Lab (View Most Recent)

very political, hard to get ahead if you don't play the game right

I have been working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Pros

- very laid back and casual environment
    - associate with some really smart people (rubs off on you!)
    - sometimes very interesting work

Cons

I have been at the lab for about a decade and have worked for four different supervisors (when I moved groups when my research focus changed, through no fault of my own) and I am frustrated by the lack of advancement opportunities and raise potential. The reviews roll around once a year and there's a perverse incentive to rate you as average so they can minimize the raises (which comes out of their own project funds), even if your work had been stellar and you got along great with the supervisor. Twice I was rated outstanding (5/5 scale) which was more in the beginning of my career, when my pay was low relative to others in my position. Then the longer I worked, the less glowing my reviews became, and I don't feel like it's a fair characterization but rather a way to keep my salary low. Another way to look at it is, if I'm outstanding or exceeding expectations five years in a row, by year six this performance becomes expected so naturally I will merely be "meeting expectations". Anyway, I am ranting.

You treat people like dirt, they're going to stick around just long enough to build up enough experience and then high tail outta here when the economy picks up. Mark my words!

Good place to work, coworkers are the best in the world

I have been working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Pros

Great research, worldwide recognition, decent pay

Cons

management very removed, everything is soooo bureaucratic (it is a govt. lab after all)

It is very easy for many employees to make it without ever meeting the manager two levels above them--change that and you're golden

There are newer employer reviews for Lawrence Berkeley Lab