Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

www.llnl.gov
  www.llnl.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Challenging and rewarding place to work for a scientist or engineer

Current Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA
Current Employee - Physicist in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of very smart people, grand scientific challenges, world class experimental facilities and computing power, great compensation and benefits. Opportunities to advance quickly and take on responsibility. Flexibility to move to new projects and develop new skills.

Cons

Government bureaucracy, onerous security rules, feels management top-heavy at times (even when you are a manager), getting jerked around by Congress. High-stress working environment in some projects.

Speak more often, but say less.

174 Other Employee Reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (View Most Recent)

Great people in a great enviroment

I have been working at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation with good leadership and the location is amazing

Cons

I really can't think of many

A university environment with an industry spin.

Former Employee - High Energy Density Physics Intern in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - High Energy Density Physics Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people everywhere. You're surrounded by extremely intelligent people at all levels. Located in a beautiful part of California. The Lab is involved in just about every area of Science and Engineering in some way or other. There are seminars going on across the campus every day that can help you stay current in your field.

Relating specifically to the intern program, I was definitely happy. I got to work on an interesting project, and I was definitely making meaningful contributions. The best part was the interaction with other interns. The lab brought in something like 300 interns from its various summer programs, and interacting with them was a great experience.

Cons

It's a big government organization. Sometimes you have to deal with a whole lot of red tape and infrastructure.

Project mobility is important to maintaining a versatile workforce, keep it up.

There are newer employer reviews for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory